94 DX w/ D16y8 -- will not start! i have a couple clues but i need help

yakobm

so i've had this 1994 DX Hatch for about half a year. the chassis has like 280,000 miles, and the engine was said to have had about 85,000 (more around 91,000 now)...

for about as long as i can remember it would idle rough, sometimes as low as 300-400 RPM's. also, on a hot day, it would have trouble starting. but if it didn't start the first time, it would always start the second time after pumping the gas pedal a few times.

just got back from a long trip, and it won't start at all. i had oil spill all over on the inside, i think i didn't push the dipstick in all the way (yeah, stupid). not sure if that's relevant, however, with my car's history.

cleaned out the IAC Valve which was filthy and black. that didn't help. i don't think it's the main relay because i hear the hum and click when i switch to IGN2. in fact, i just got the engine to start by priming the pump three times and then starting it. i revved it up high, but then when i let the RPM's drop it died.

any ideas?

yakobm

got it started again. i have to keep doing the ignition thing until the hum of the fuel pump priming becomes quiet, then it will start and if i keep revving it, it will stay alive. there was a lot of sputtering/cutting out, and exhaust fumes galore. this time, however, when it died, it made a weird noise. almost like a sea lion yelling (you know?).

definitely need some help. so if anyone has anything, i'd appreciate it. thanks.

yakobm

took a look at the distributor cap, and it looks like there's some green/blue corrosion on the four contact points...

wondering if this could be one of the sources of my issue? think i'm gonna try to clean it up with some type of non-metal brush...

yakobm

tried to run a diagnostic but didn't get any codes. think i might go out and get a distributor cap tomorrow.

yakobm

when i unplug the O2 sensor located on the header, i can start my car every time. it stalls out and dies, but it does start. is this a sign that the O2 sensor is the culprit?

yakobm

nobody knows? my money is stretched really thin right now, due to a few unforeseen events, and i don't want to spend a single penny that i don't need to.

m!cky89

this sounds like a problem you will have to spend some pennies on. try running sea foam through your vaccum line off the brake booster. It helped my idle in a 92 civic. Which engine do you have?

yakobm

it's a d16y8, 96-2000 EX engine in a 94 dx hatch body...

i tried out a new distributor cap today. at first it seemed to run a bit better, instead of just dying when i hit the gas it would cut out, then climb back up to 1500 RPM's. the rotor has looks like it has some scorching on the edge of it.

is there a how-to on the sea foam method you mentioned? i'll search for one.