94 ex with b16 wont rev past 5k no cel!!!

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
94 honda civic ex with a 95 b16 swap using the ex harness with a stock p72 ecu hooked up

The problem- no matter what the car will not rev above 5000 rpms almost like it has a rev limiter and theres NO CEL!!!. (revs up fine when in neutral but not when in gear speedo is working)

Things I’ve checked, timing is tdc
changed out distributer
changed out tps
changed out map sensor
checked and made more grounds t-stat and trans
made sure theres enough oil
checked for any vaccum leaks
did compression test everything was normal
changed out ecu with my other p72 also tried a p28 no difference

im completely stumped and just want this car to run right. Also the knock sensor IS wired up as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I’ve searched and searched and have tried everything I’ve read.

Ron j i need ur help on this one

Gunner

Registered VIP
It sounds like it could be the mechanical timing off a little but since you say that is good..

check your ingintion system...

Gunner

Registered VIP
I know this sounds dumb to but i know 2 people that had this problem and all they did was change the oil...there cars would not go over 4k rpm and was sluggish when in gear but worked fine in nuetral..

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
all timing marks line up, i had changed the distributer with the one of my gsr nothing checked plugs and wires seem good i checked for arking.

Gunner

Registered VIP
Are you sure the map and tsp sensors are hooked up to the right spot and they are not mixed up?? i know that would cause a code usually but it sounds almost like your car is in limp mode possibly..

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
yea i checked to make sure that the plugs were no mixed up since they both look the same and are very close to eachother.

Gunner

Registered VIP
does your engine harness and the ECU match the head? And was the P28 that you tried chipped? Trying to figure out if its electrical or mechanical.

a lot of things can get mixed up in a swap...

just thought of something...the 94 ex is a D series motor right...change the fuel line from the filter to the rail to one for a B series if you have not already and see if that fixes your problem.

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
fuel line from filter to the rail is b series. as for the p28 ecu it was not chipped. i wish i had done this swap this car has been through many people before it came to me to fix so i have no idea what other people have done to this. the last time i worked on this car everything worked fine that was about 10 months ago since then its had two other owners so now im chasing everything back

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a gsr swap that wouldn't rev past 4k. It only happened on special occasions but I never found the solution, I would pop it in neutral and hit redline once and then it wouldn't happen for awhile. I think I still have a video of it too.

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
yes the cel light works. and yes it was the same problem with both ecus i know its strange ive been working on hondas for 8 years and ive tried everything in the book