94 Si B000 Transmission. **56K Beware!**

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Hey everybody just bought this B000 transmission from a local guy for $175, he swears up and down it is out of a car that had only 98k miles and that it was a one owner by an older man. The car was wrecked but the engine and trans are in perfect shape. So I went ahead and trusting this guy bought it. I don't know much about transmissions and I will have it professionally installed by my father who owns his own mechanic shop. I know this is going to be hard to tell without tearing it apart and looking but here are some pictures of it. What do you all think? It seems to be pretty clean to me, but this is going to be the first car I have owned that I swapped transmissions... Anyways, thanks ahead of time hope to hear back from some of you all. Also what are some things that I can do or look for to see if this is a good transmission? Thanks in advance everybody.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so its a ex/si tranny. the only thing i would do before you install it is tear it apart and make sure the input shaft bearing is still good. hopefully it has no grinds. but 175 is pretty steep for a d series transmission.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You just posted this on d-series lol
Open the case... many 12 mm bolts and the big c clip.. itll open right up

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I post on this site and D-series to get more responses haha. Okay if this things is not a b***h to open up I'll go ahead and crack it.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I post on this site and D-series to get more responses haha. Okay if this things is not a b***h to open up I'll go ahead and crack it.
its not a b***h to take apart, its the putting the gears back together. you dont know if its done right till you test drive the car lol.

cvnig89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol , casing looks fine but you need to tear it down to really inspect it.

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member

get that plug out with a ratchet, then there is a c clip in there
Okay I figured that out, but I think I'm doing something wrong. I have all the 12mm bolts out, the bolt off for the c clamp, I spread the c clamp as far apart as i can with needle nose pliers. I read that you hear a slight clunk when pulling the c clamp apart. I hear nothing so I tried it a few more times before I tried to pull the transmission housing apart. I can get the housing about an inch apart all the way around. But I can't get it all the way off. Is there a trick to this? Or am I missing something here? When I look between the two halves of the housing I can see the studs on opposite ends and they are out of the opposite end holes all the way and I can't see anything else in the way... Any ideas?

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Okay, finally got everything apart and while I honestly have no clue what a good transmission looks like on the inside. I checked the magnet, looked at all the teeth on the gears, and looked around for any small chunks or slivers of metal. On the magnet it is covered with the normal to small for the eye to see particles, but I did find a very small spring on the magnet. So I don't know what that is.... Maybe you all can tell me.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I sold my D Series for 70 bucks and it was in perfect condition... And it was MUCH cleaner... But not a bad deal for a working trans.. better than new... Anyways, looks good, just put it back together, replace the seals where the CV Axles go into the trans and then put Honda MTF in it and good to go... GL

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Thanks, yeah I was told I paid a bit much for the trans. But when I look around online they are going between $250-$325 for used. This one was local, I know the guy, and he brought it to me I didn't have to lift a finger..

But yeah, anybody know what this little spring is? What it might go to??? I'm happy with how the trans over all looks, but this little spring does kind of scare me a bit.... I hope somebody can chime in on this one.

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Okay, I think I have a better idea as to what the spring is from. I inspected everything a bit more and found this:

So I think it is safe to say that the smaller spring I was asking about earlier is a broken off piece of this larger spring that looked like it might of come from the seal that the axle goes into? I'm still looking around on the net for something that could give me a better clue. If anybody can confirm this for me that would be great. Also should I replace those seals anyways?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, just go buy new axle seals. Buy a new input shaft bearing as well, because you need to. It will go bad and you will have to open it up again.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the input shaft bearings are a common problem...i've changed 4 of them in my current tranny. Turns out that stock d series trannys dont like boost