944 porsche

Kihun_Cha

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi how are you cc members? Long time no see.. Well here I am here thinking if i should purchase 944 porsche non-turbo for less than 2g's. Since the day I got out of the honda games, I am getting real bored and i might have to start my own project car. what do you think about 944 porsche??

here is the things i will be doing..

first.. its a real beat up 944 n/a 85 or 86 model

weight reduction.. only driver seat remaining. Carpet off, paints off.
suspension set up for the track/ street
buy a stock 944 turbo and start tuboring... at least to hit 240hp at the wheel
than get a roll cage bar..
interior redesign/ cut climate control, put some gauges.. no rice s**t
change seat, steering wheel.

that's for my plan right now but this is my first time actually thinking about getting a porsche
lets see how we go with the car.. still on auction til 19ths.. =(

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It would be cheaper and easier to do an S13.

Changing the clutch in a 944 is a $1000 job. Everything you do is going to be premium price :shock:

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like the 944. It's only problem is that Nissan did the exact same car cheaper and better (240SX) I mean the only real significant difference is where the transmission/transaxle is.

Sandals

Are you saying removing the paint as weight reduction!??! or that its already off? 944 would only be worth it if you drop a small block or big block in it. If you want some cheap fun boosted power I say go s13. There are other options but thats the best currently. Especially with the drift trend @ it's current status.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you'd be better off finding a nackered Miata and dropping a Chevy 350 into it.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1st gen RX7 w/ a 302 Ford
http://www.jickedoutbastards.automotiveexpression.com/rx7.html

But back on topic. I think you can buy a off brand 944 clutch kit (disc, pressure-plate, bearing, alignment tool)for about 400-500 dollars but a Sachs kit is usually 700-800 dollars. Then you have to find a shop that will resurface the flywheel, (brake lathe won't work, Some engine builders will put them on their head surface machines but they are going to charge extra to vat your flywheel first)

There's nothing cheap on it. 928s can be had for little more than a 944 but there is nothing cheap on them either.

Look for a 912 for an autoX car. It can be made quick for about the same costs as doing an air-cooled VW. Initial investment is high though. 914 comes in a little cheaper initially but it's mid-engined so it sucks for crossover parts.( Type IV)

Or S13...