95 Civic D16z6 - car cranks, but won't start

I_wantaDOHC

So I have this 95 Civic. The car ran fine, then after a few days of snow, and not driving it, it wont start. I just put in a brand new starter and new spark plugs, thinking it was the plugs and starter (the starter was bad). When I crank the car it makes a whining sound, like the starter motor is running, but it is not starting. I pulled the plugs, dried them off, (covered in gas) and checked for sparks. They are pretty dim and the sparks are orange. And from trying to start the car so much, I think the engine is flooded with gas. I dumped a little bit of oil down the spark plug holes, cranked it for a good 15 seconds, then put the spark plugs back in. I heard a couple of popping noises and saw black smoke, but no start. I really need to get my car started and running. Any help is appreciated!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Orange spark is no good. It's too weak. How is the distributor? The coil? The rotor? The wires? Your spark should be blue or white.

I_wantaDOHC

Wires are good, not sure how to check the rotor, distributor, or coil. I'm still pretty new to all of this stuff.