95' Civic Engine Sputtering

CaptainJochem

Respected
Hey all,

I recently stumbled upon a slight annoyance in my Civic. I have noticed that whenever I have the car in the low rev range, irrespective of which gear it is in, and I give 50-100% throttle that my engine likes to sputter/cough. One would usually suspect that this would be a problem with the ignition coil, however, I don't believe that it is as I have replaced this part a few weeks ago (car stopped completely one day and wouldn't start again until after I replaced the coil). I suspect that it might be my ignition cables, when I took a look at them I noticed that some of the rubber at the base was wearing and some of it missing.

I would like to get all of your opinions about what this could be and if you share my views on the matter? Would appreciate it before I spend the 80-100 Euro's for nothing.

Jochem

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Needs more troubleshooting to narrow it down, so I can't help you with the sputtering, but it sounds (from the very limited information) like the car is in desperate need of a full tune up (spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, valve adjustment, etc). Do that and then diagnose/troubleshoot. Can't find a problem if the basics aren't kept up with.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, if you haven't already, I would recommend doing a tune up.

Also, if the car runs fine from a cold start but appears sluggish once warm, this can point to an o2/cat issue.

CaptainJochem

Respected
Those are all very valid points and I'm definitely going to take a look into all of it before I go out to spend on parts. To give everyone more insight I have recently changed the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, timing belt, water pump, and a lot of other smaller things. Looks like I'm going to get back under the hood and see if I can use your answers for troubleshooting!

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
OP, helping you troubleshoot would be much easier with more information as it is limited. Some of is here can think of at least 5 things it *Might* be. A proper diagnoses will help move things along. It can be anything from a grounding problem, to a fueling problem, to a vacuum leak. A better description makes a world of difference.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk