95 Civic Ex bad gas mileage

jsilva

5+ Year Member
Hi I bought a 95 civic Ex coupe with 117K and an auto trans from a honda dealer about a month ago. The car is completely stock and the dealer just changed all fluids and tires. But I'm getting terrible gas mileage while driving very conservatively. I'm averaging around 175 miles to a full tank and I've refilled 4 times already. I cant see that the chicago winter would affect mileage like this. The car still has great acceleration and heat/ac works great. Anyone got any suggestions?

Drfunk1155

5+ Year Member
Check the smoke coming out of exhaust. Is it dark or light? If it is darker than other cars you see, it's going to be the headgasket, which in turn burns oil, then makes your engine love gasoline. I'd love for it to be something like your spark plugs homie, but they should have changed those at the dealership. Hope you bought a warranty from them, if you don't work on cars.

RonJ

Banned
You need to calculate the actual gas mileage = miles driven/gallons added to tank at fill up

Any CEL codes? Does the engine fail to warm up or does so very slowly?

Otherwise, start by replacing the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and checking the ignition timing.

jsilva

5+ Year Member
The smoke coming out of the exhaust is light I copied down all the mileage and the gas I put it and its averaging about 19 mpg. There are no check engine lights and the engine heats up very quickly.

RonJ

Banned
Does the CEL work? It should come on and go off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II).

Your gas mileage sucks. Start with an ignition system tune up, as I mentioned earlier.

jsilva

5+ Year Member
when i turn on the car its on for about half a second along with all the other lights.

yoshirocks702

5+ Year Member
I'd venture a guess your O2 sensor is getting lazy. You should try and hook up a scanner to see how its reading, and how all your other sensors are reading. A lazy O2 sensor will cause bad gas milage. While your at it check the plugs too, and replace them if they don't look like new, they're cheap anyways.

Caymanized

New to Civics... Be nice!
Ditto... Is there a way to check the voltage going to and returning from the o2 sensor? If so, what should I be averaging? The only thing done is a SRI, and we have like 86 miles on a half tank.... I'll check the plugs and wires, along with Dizzy cap, rotor, and all that fun groovy s**t. My wife is getting a bad taste from the car and I would like to keep it around to work it up to something respectable.