95 civic ex- vtec with a p72 ecu?

eurofifa

5+ Year Member
I have a Ej1. The civic is a Vtec but i have a p72 ecu. My check engine light is on and my vtec does not kick in at anywhere between 4000 to 6000 rpms. i dont know what the deal is but can anyone help me?

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what kind of engine? the p72 is a GSR ECU. If you don't have a GSR motor you will get CEL's because the ECU is looking for sensors that your single cam motor doesn't have. And if it is a single cam, you're most likely not going to hear VTEC engage, and it most likely wont anyway with those CEL's.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
P72 is looking for a knock sensor, which your D16Z6 doesn't have. Check your CEL. Probably a code 23.

eurofifa

5+ Year Member
Yea its a single...d16z6..When i bought my Civic it already came with the gsr ecu.But i dont know what the benefits are with that ecu..so im not going to hear my vtec kick in but it does kick in tho right..??

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not if you're using that P72 ECU. With that CEL you will not have VTEC engage. Beyond that, you won't notice the VTEC crossover unless you had an exposed element air filter. You would pretty much only be able to hear it then. It's quite subtle in the factory D16Z6. It really should be subtle in any proper engine tune.

eurofifa

5+ Year Member
So basically i would need a Cold air intake(in the process of getting one) to actually hear the vtec engage....so the best thing to do is get a p28 ecu to have an engage and a stronger vtec right?

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your VTEC will not be "stronger". The P72 maps are not right for your car; you will get better performance out of a P28 ECU. VTEC will NOT be stronger, ever unless you change your cam. It will probably start working however with the P28, as it doesn't check for knock sensor = you won't (shouldn't) have a CEL.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
any self respecting person would easily trade you a p28 for a p72. P72's are more expensive than p28's so you are good to get rid of to anyone but don't trade anyone your p72 and them still asking for boot. They will deserve to give you money if anything so try that first, but i would get rid of it IF he says that he will only trade straight up.

92h22eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^x2.... should be easy to trade up if not get a little cheese with the deal.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what kind of engine? the p72 is a GSR ECU. If you don't have a GSR motor you will get CEL's because the ECU is looking for sensors that your single cam motor doesn't have. And if it is a single cam, you're most likely not going to hear VTEC engage, and it most likely wont anyway with those CEL's.
I hear vtec on my SOHC:D

eurofifa

5+ Year Member
Thats what i was thinking about doing. Or just go get one from the junk yard. THhnx

94EG_

Boats N' Hoes !!
5+ Year Member
You know I was just searching the forum for something about how loud the vtec is in a Z6, before I had my exhaust put on (megan drift-spec) I could hear it engage it was subtle and not really a kick but just a change in the engine tone. Now that I have my exhaust on I cant really hear it. The car seems just as fast and the engine sounds the same I just dont really notice when Vtec engages. My friends 99' Si his vtec is loud as hell its like night and day when its in Vtec (as far as how it sounds) Im just wondering if Vtec would not be engaging for any reason, especially if no engine light is on and I have a fresh tune, plenty of oil and good sensors ?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know I was just searching the forum for something about how loud the vtec is in a Z6, before I had my exhaust put on (megan drift-spec) I could hear it engage it was subtle and not really a kick but just a change in the engine tone. Now that I have my exhaust on I cant really hear it. The car seems just as fast and the engine sounds the same I just dont really notice when Vtec engages. My friends 99' Si his vtec is loud as hell its like night and day when its in Vtec (as far as how it sounds) Im just wondering if Vtec would not be engaging for any reason, especially if no engine light is on and I have a fresh tune, plenty of oil and good sensors ?
its a d series. period. vtec in a single cam isnt going to be that crazy, to the ear, or to your ass dyno. sorry.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
True, I wonder if half of the single cam guys even know the mechanical difference between the dohc and sohc vtec systems?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True, I wonder if half of the single cam guys even know the mechanical difference between the dohc and sohc vtec systems?
if they havent experienced b series....probably not. as far as im concerned, d series vtec is hardly VTEC. but dont take this as me worshiping vtec, but its still a hell of a better motor (b series) than d series imho.

94EG_

Boats N' Hoes !!
5+ Year Member
Well if I had the bread I'd buy a b-series or maybe even a k-motor. But as of now I've got to make do with the z6, not too bad, still fun to drive.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if they havent experienced b series....probably not. as far as im concerned, d series vtec is hardly VTEC. but dont take this as me worshiping vtec, but its still a hell of a better motor (b series) than d series imho.
What you refer to "experiencing" B series has nothing to do with the mechanical knowledge of how twin cam VTEC operates. As far as D series VTEC being "hardly VTEC", that's just plain stupid. It is every bit as much of the label as the twin cam variants. The only thing different is that there's not a separate cam profile for the exhaust cam.

How aggressive the high cam is has nothing to do with "how VTEC" it is. The mere simple fact that there is a change in cam profile, ignition timing, and fuel map designates the fact that it is a VTEC engine.

And for the record, there is nothing inherently different between people who own D series and B series except deeper pockets. Saying half of one population is less knowledgeable than the other is not accurate. I've met some completely clueless B series owners. I will say that I have met some completely clueless D series owners too.