95 Civic Idle at warm issues

jenand3

I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I get this right. We recently bought a '95 Civic that runs beautifully, except for when it warms up. The idle sits right at 700 RPM's when cold and then after it warms up and you add any electrical load (headlights, A/C, power brake, etc...) the idle drops to 100 to 200 RPM's and then will stall or the idle seems to start fishing. We have cleaned and then replaced the IACV. It checks out to spec. Also tried adjusting the idle screw and nothing. With the idle screw almost completely out, the idle doesn't go up at all. I know this is not normal, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, as long as the car is driving, there seems to be no problems. You can run any electrical you want and doesn't effect it in the least until you go to stop at a light and then the RPM's drop to 100 and it tries to die.

Hektic

doing it.
been having the same problem myself. sorry I can't help you but I tried the same things....clean and inspect IACV, mess with the idle adjust screw, even screwed around with a few other things and still nothing! only when i stop at a light does it try to die with the A/C on but even at higher rpms you can feel the power loss. as soon as I switch off the A/C then it goes right back to normal. I need help also :oops:

*edit* my problem does not happen with headlights or other electrical loads....only with the A/C on

Last edited:

SeeOurWrecks

5+ Year Member
Idle should be adjusted as such: start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Jump the cel connector. Unplug the iacv plug. Adjust the idle to 650-700 using the idle adjust screw. Place some super glue or thread locker over the screw to keep it from vibrating out of place. Reconnect the iacv. Now turn on all the equipment that loads the engine: ac, rear defroster, high beams, hazards, move the steering wheel if you have power steering. If the car dies, suspect the iacv. Otherwise everything should be fine

Tapatalk rocks!

SeeOurWrecks

5+ Year Member
Also be sure to bleed your coolant to avoid air bubbles in your coolant which can cause idle issues.

Tapatalk rocks!