95 Civic Idle at warm issues

jenand3

I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I get this right. We recently bought a '95 Civic that runs beautifully, except for when it warms up. The idle sits right at 700 RPM's when cold and then after it warms up and you add any electrical load (headlights, A/C, power brake, etc...) the idle drops to 100 to 200 RPM's and then will stall or the idle seems to start fishing. We have cleaned and then replaced the IACV. It checks out to spec. Also tried adjusting the idle screw and nothing. With the idle screw almost completely out, the idle doesn't go up at all. I know this is not normal, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, as long as the car is driving, there seems to be no problems. You can run any electrical you want and doesn't effect it in the least until you go to stop at a light and then the RPM's drop to 100 and it tries to die.
Has new fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor, air filter, no vacuum leaks, cleaned TB, cleaned, new O2 sensor...

tekfoc

5+ Year Member
Do a compression test .
If good check coolant level if good try bleeding your coolant system.
Air in your coolant system will affect your idle air control valve .

jenand3

Compression checked out. We had put a new radiator in when we got the car and bled the system. I am just baffled at this point and so frustrated.

jenand3

Do you know of something else I may be missing? Any suggestions are welcomed.

jenand3

I am. We did the starter fluid test and the soapy water. Also, usually with a vacuum leak, doesn't the idle surge? Which is why the starter fluid test works. Now granted, Hondas are something I am not real familiar with.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Those test can work but if its on the unders side its hard to test those ways should try smoke test which is most accurate however i suppose your right and should be surge. Have you tried idle relearn

jenand3

Haven't done a relearn. Looked in the Haynes manual and it doesn't say anything about it. Do you know how I would do that?

jenand3

We did an idle relearn last night, no change. It has all new gaskets because when we got it, we had to replace the head gasket. Sprayed enough starter fluid on it to make it rap out the motor if there was a leak. Not sure about the FITV. I will check and let you know. Thank you all for your suggestions. Any other ideas greatly appreciated!

SeeOurWrecks

5+ Year Member
Just because the fitv was cleaned doesn't mean anything. Remove the intake tube while the engine is warm and running. Check the bottom port on the tb. There should be little to no suction, and covering it should not affect the idle. If the fitv needs to be corrected, try screwing the beeswax pellet down fully closed. If that doesn't fix it you should replace the fitv.

Tapatalk rocks!