95 civic lx.. somewhat rough/low idle & backfiring

PhatAzzCracka

5+ Year Member
hey guys... my civic has kind of like a steady backfiring.. i have an aftermarket exhaust and you can just kinda hear like small steady constant popping noises as the car idles.. it also does this though when gas is being applied. the car will also idle low once the car has been drivin, but this varies.. i adjusted the idle screw and raised the idle up to about 800 but the car will still sometimes drop down to about 400 - 500 and just stay there and it constantly misses at idle.. i just want my car to idle well and run well.. also no CEL codes whatsoever.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your plugs and wires. as for the pop. you said you have a full exhaust. do you have a resinator and a cat welded in? if not. thats part of it.

abs0Lut

Rockin' in the free world
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your gap on the spark plugs too, my EJ1 had a bit of a weird idle and gapping them to spec got rid of it.

RonJ

Banned
Check the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, as well as the ignition timing with a timing gun.

Does the CEL work?

PhatAzzCracka

5+ Year Member
sorry guys forgot to mention... replaced plugs wires cap and rotor. plugs are ngk and are gapped properly... but the car also did this before everything was replaced. my CEL does work properly.. its a catback exhaust but no it is not welded its all bolted together. as far as the ignition timing is concerned, i have not checked that.. is there somewhere that i may be able to rent one? also how do i check the ignition timing? i have tried to adjust the dizzy before, but it had little to no effect, so i returned it to the original location

RonJ

Banned
How do you know the CEL works?

First check the mechanical timing and then the ignition timing with an inductive timing gun (you may be able to rent one at an auto parts store, or buy one for about $30).