95 EJ1 tranny problem

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey there guys and girls, my tranny has been making noise since i bought the car and I suspect it's the clutch assembly but I want your opinions. When I push in the clutch the noise stops completely, and I can mostly hear it at lower engine speeds. The sound is sort of a clicking, slightly grinding sound. Also when it's in neutral and the tires are off the ground and the car is cold the tires turn a bit with the cluth released.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need a new release bearing. Also a common issues with those transmissions are synchro wear.

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I suspected it was the bearing but I was worried about the input shaft bearing but i dont think that noise would stop if I pushed in the cluth. I have a bit of trouble getting into first gear, would that be the synchro acting up? how easy is that to fix?

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synchros sucks unless you know what you are doing. Your better taking it to a shop for a rebuild of finding a 96+ tranny. 96+ has a steel fork versus an aluminum fork. WHich tends to bend under wear and stress which then wears out those rings.

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 95 sedan with a D15B7 parts car with a perfect transmission, would the trannys be similar enough to swap?

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All d series trans are interchangeable.