'95 EX Starting Issue

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
First off, I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what my problem/symptoms are.

Ok I did a rebuild top and bottom on the car less than 8K ago (new timing belt and waterpump too). It's ran GREAT for the last 7 months and I've had no problems. On my way home today the engine shut off (lights, dash, radio still working) at a stoplight and would not start up again. When I turn the key it sounds like it's trying really hard to turn over, but not quite making it there. I have it towed to my place and yank the battery have it charged and tested. The battery is fine, now the engine sounds like it's turning over half way or maybe once and stopping, but is excessively noisey (grinding/squealing) like it's really pushing to start. It does NOT crank endlessly like with a bad main relay (yes the fuel pump primes and I have no CEL). I've checked coolant, fuel and oil, all are full. can anyone lend some help?

-David

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
UPDATE: I've sinced checked the timing belt and it's tight and intact. Also it turned over couple cranks and actually started but died about 8-10 seconds later. The entire time it was running is was grinding and squealing.

jordan101

what about spark? I think its a timing related issue. check and make sure t belt didnt slip or break

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
what about spark? I think its a timing related issue. check and make sure t belt didnt slip or break
I'm starting to lean towards timing myself. I got the car to start, after many many tries. Each time I tried to start the car it was grind/squeal. Now it starts and runs, but it sounds like the valves are about to break through the valve cover. I'm wondering if the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two. I had it replaced about 7.5K ago and am wondering if the tensioner didn't get properly torqued as anything I can find online similar to my problem leans towards a timing belt that wasn't properly installed.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
I'm starting to lean towards timing myself. I checked the timing belt it looks intact and has tension, but I can't tell if it's properly aligned. I got the car to start, after many many tries. Each time I tried to start the car it was grind/squeal. Now it starts and runs, but it sounds like the valves are about to break through the valve cover. I'm wondering if the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two. I had it replaced about 7.5K ago and am wondering if the tensioner didn't get properly torqued as anything I can find online similar to my problem leans towards a timing belt that wasn't properly installed.

jordan101

well if you think its timing related dont run the car thats a good way to mess up the head. take spark plugs out and you can turn motor over by hand. take t belt cover off and put it at tdc on the crank and see how the cam lines up. if its way off dont run the car. If the t belt did slip see why it slipped befor putting it where it should be. Its real easy in my car bc i have no ac or power steering. mabe timing is right but t belt is rubbing on somthing. Now you know if you have spark bc it ran. like i said now just check to see if its mechanicly timed right

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
well if you think its timing related dont run the car thats a good way to mess up the head. take spark plugs out and you can turn motor over by hand. take t belt cover off and put it at tdc on the crank and see how the cam lines up. if its way off dont run the car. If the t belt did slip see why it slipped befor putting it where it should be. Its real easy in my car bc i have no ac or power steering. mabe timing is right but t belt is rubbing on somthing. Now you know if you have spark bc it ran. like i said now just check to see if its mechanicly timed right
I'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to cars, but I'll have someone look at it. Like I said, it ran for a few minutes and sounded like the valves where beating the valve cover, I'm hoping they're not all bent. I'll have to get it checked asap, luckily I have other cars, lol. Thanks

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
First off, I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what my problem/symptoms are.

Ok I did a rebuild top and bottom on the car less than 8K ago (new timing belt and waterpump too). It's ran GREAT for the last 7 months and I've had no problems. On my way home today the engine shut off (lights, dash, radio still working) at a stoplight and would not start up again. When I turn the key it sounds like it's trying really hard to turn over, but not quite making it there. I have it towed to my place and yank the battery have it charged and tested. The battery is fine, now the engine sounds like it's turning over half way or maybe once and stopping, but is excessively noisey (grinding/squealing) like it's really pushing to start. It does NOT crank endlessly like with a bad main relay (yes the fuel pump primes and I have no CEL). I've checked coolant, fuel and oil, all are full. can anyone lend some help?

-David
U said u did the rebuild but then ur not much of a mechanic?? Just tryin to figure this out. And yes it sounds timing/head related and if u have those kind of noises good chance the damage has already been done!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

jordan101

ya dont run it till it gets looked at if it was a timing problem and those noises it most lilly the pistons hitting the valves. in other words not good.