95 Honda Civic EX not igniting.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
Hey there everyone, I have a 1994 Honda Civic EX.

Just a few weeks ago while I would be driving my car would have some small jolts... and the RMP's would just drop, and then the car would jolt after that and then the RPM's would be back to normal. It because worse over a week and when it would jolt it would do the same problem... except that the car would slow down as of though it stalled. Last week ON my wedding day the car decided to stall out.... I waited maybe 30 minutes to start it up again and it worked... I went to turn my car around in the drive-way and it stalled out... and then it didn't start up. The next day I changed my spark plugs and it turned over instantly, I left it on for 15 minutes came back and it was still on. I then turned it off, and tried to re-start it... It didn't start again after that. Around 3 days later I came back to it after my honeymoon and started it up... I wanted to try and get it to my new living space, the car only made it 1 mile down the road... It did the same issue where it would act like it stalled out and the battery light would come on, and then it hasn't started up since.:???:

My alternator belt always would squeal when I started it up... even if it was dry.

Okay... I've come down to this with my car. I've changed the Fuel Filter, the Plugs and wires, changed the distributor and the rotor, and checked to see if the injectors where clogged, the plugs spark... so either -A.) there must be a timing issue or -B.) Fuel is not getting to the injectors... now... I believe it's "A" because when my uncle and I got to the timing belt one side of the belt was looser then the other... so it must have slipped.

Can that cause any MAJOR problems... (besides not starting of course) like hurting valves and such? I know that if the belt where to break it would destroy things... but can it break anything if it slips?

Any help would be appreciated... I really need to get this car back on the road soon. I intend to get it toed to a local shop because I cannot do a timing belt change myself.

vtec4me

5+ Year Member
check your timming. Under the dash on the left near the hood release is the main relay when you turn the key to start the main relay should click three times and you should hear your fuel pump turn on. This happened to me too it would drive fine one minute then die the next.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
check your timming. Under the dash on the left near the hood release is the main relay when you turn the key to start the main relay should click three times and you should hear your fuel pump turn on. This happened to me too it would drive fine one minute then die the next.
I had AAA tow it to a nearby shop, just because the timing belt needs to be changed. They will figure it then I guess.

Wow... amazing how it could be something so... simplistic. This all started to happen after I changed the spark plugs though... :?: (Just by chance I guess?)

I'll tell you if it was just that or if the timing belt slipped and hurt some valves. Either way I would like this car to run properly run now on... and at the peak performance that it was meant to.

One thing I had noticed about my 94 compared to my bothers late 93 is that his has quicker acceleration. It looks like we have entirely different transmissions as well. We did have different plugs though. His are 9.3mm and mine where 8.5mm at the time (I just got some 9.3mm just lately but my car died... so I wasn't able to feel the difference).