95 LX D15B7 to D16Z6 head swap concerns

silentwhisper

I have an automatic tranny and have done quite a bit of research on this swap. Being that i don't expect to race this thing, im gonna do a head swap. Everyone says it will bolt in just fine, but i need a VTEC distributor and a P28 ECU. I also need to wire in a VTEC solenoid and use a 4-wire O2 sensor instead of a one wire.
My concerns for this swap are:

Will my existing wiring harness be difficult to modify for the new head?
Should i upgrade my fuel injectors to the 210 cc?
Will the VTEC head gasket line up with my original block?
Is using a new camshaft with a Y8 cam gear the best way to go?
Will i lose power by keeping a 68mm throttlebody or upgrade?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
From what I've read (because been doing a SLOW mini-me buildup for the last few years) I BELIEVE the following:
1) check the harness connector on the passenger side, it may already be wired from that connector to the ECU with the 2 wires you need. IF so, just need to run wires from that connection to the vtec solenoid and pressure switch
2) if using z6 head, go ahead and get the intake manifold and fuel rail/injectors as well
3) I've been told the y8 head gasket is the one to use, but honestly it looks almost exactly like the z6 gasket, and should line up with no problems
4) I've not heard of swapping to the y8 cam, so not sure of any benefit to doing that. If someone has, may want to ask them/read their posting on how it turned out or if they had any problems
5) staying with a stock z6 throttle body shouldn't LOSE any power. But with stock internals and ECU, not sure how much power (if any) you'd gain by going bigger

If you haven't read any posts here or on other sites about the b7/z6 mini-me build, I suggest you actually start there. That way you can see exactly what triumphs (and mistakes) others have made before you attempt this on your own. Good luck!

LWJR06

So how has the b7 z6 swap gone I bought a 92 hatchback someone started that swap and im trying to button it up but I cant get the injectors to fire I don't know what it is I keep reading to use a p28 ecu I don't have one im getting spark and I have fuel to the rail but the injectors wont fire I tried my p30 ecu and still nothing I was told to check the crank pos sensor but haven't got back to it yet to check that out do you have any helpful info