95 lx rough cold start...

noVtech_noProblem

Hello all, I've been driving my 1995 LX for about 4 years now. The thing is a beast. I've put 40k+ on it. After buying it for 500$ this machine immediately took me halfway across the country, then halfway up the east coast and back. I literally am making money every time it starts.

Throughout the time I have done the fuel pump, fuel pump relay(x2), fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, the distributor cap, plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, and speed sensor.
For the last several months when I start it cold it is VERY rough. It rumbles and bumbles just above 0 rpm before kicking up to ~1100 and then dropping slowly to and idle at ~800. Sometimes while it is rumbling very badly it will not start at all, then will immediately start like normal.
Recently I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket, but it still starts the same. When it is warm it starts no problem. Any suggestions?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Erractic idle is generally a direct sign of a vacuum leak. Soapy water sprayed onto rubber vacuum lines generally will help locate a leak as the idle will temporarily correct while the water and soap plug the hole.

If not a vacuum leak, possible the Idle Air Control Valve has failed. Sometimes you can get lucky and clean them out if they will pass a voltage test. Apply voltage to the leads to manually activate the valve. When applying voltage only tap the contact, do not hold constant voltage to the valves actuator as you will burn up the small servo. If it reacts when you tap for 1 second then it should be good. Do a thorough cleaning of the valve assembly. There are a ton of articles on how to clean it on this forum.

Start there and let us know the results.

noVtech_noProblem

Hey all, sorry for the extended delay. The end of the year was a busy one and I was just able to take the time to mess around with the civic. I sprayed soapy water on the vacuum lines to no avail, no leak. So I pulled off the idle air control valve and gave it a clean up before discovering that I was going to have to replace it. So I did. Annnnddd BOOM! no more idle issues. It was starting right up and purring like a kitten. Thank you @nd4sped for your wisdom and knowledge!!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
No problemo dude.