96-00 harness bar question for a friend. help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
Ok so my ricer of a friend wants to get a harness bar off of ebay for his 96 civic cx. He has been looking around ebay and he said they all say 92-95and01+ on them and none for the 96-00 range. i told him its a bad idea all together as there is no give to a harness in a rollover crash but he says its just for looks. I also tried lookin for him and hes totally right the only one i could find was from "corsport" i think it was but it was like 285 or so and hes looking into something cheaper as its only for "looks". My question for you is will the 92-95 bar fit in the 96 cx? i would imagine it would because its a lil funny that it just skips 96-00 but i would like a definite answer to give him lol. thanks for any help because i am soo sick of him trying to debate with me over this everytime i see the freakin kid lol.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Fab up a custom one!

lownslow

5+ Year Member
haha hes not good at that kind of stuff at all, i dont think he has any access to the materials, and im totally sick of helping him out with stupid stuff lol it got old fast once he started surfing the ebay wave for decals and body kits and what not. basically i just want an answer on whether the 92-95/01+ will fit in his 96 so i can tell him and he can do what he does best put crap on his credit card lmfao!

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sparco makes a nice harness bar for the 96-00 civic. It's kind of silly either way: looks OR function. One, it's not functional without a roll bar, and if you get both separate you might as well have gotten a cage.

Two, without properly padding it you're actually making the back seat more dangerous for passengers.

Three, it's pointless for looks, a complete waste.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
haha thank you . so you dont think the 92-95 ebay harness bar would fit it? i just want to hear the end of this lol

backIN06

5+ Year Member
Sparco makes a nice harness bar for the 96-00 civic. It's kind of silly either way: looks OR function. One, it's not functional without a roll bar, and if you get both separate you might as well have gotten a cage.

Two, without properly padding it you're actually making the back seat more dangerous for passengers.

This site..... The HARNESS bar is just that.. FOR YOUR HARNESS..... The purpose it serves is to create a proper angle for your harness to bolt to the floor.. Many people prefer to have a 4pt and 5pt harness to hold them in there when they're autoXing... Where a rollcage really isn't necessary...

The harness bar is in NO way structural support... it's merely there for proper install of a harness.. So in case of an accident spinal compression doesn't occur.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
This site..... The HARNESS bar is just that.. FOR YOUR HARNESS..... The purpose it serves is to create a proper angle for your harness to bolt to the floor.. Many people prefer to have a 4pt and 5pt harness to hold them in there when they're autoXing... Where a rollcage really isn't necessary...

The harness bar is in NO way structural support... it's merely there for proper install of a harness.. So in case of an accident spinal compression doesn't occur.
great info thank you. i ean i can totally see how it is much better than how he wanted to just bolt the harnesses to the floor with the bolts from the seat so it is much better than that. this is just for looks as he is just a fast and the furious fanboy and has no intent on any type of racing. you wouldnt happen to know if the ebay 92-95 will fit the 96 do you? i told him id get him an answerr because i have no clue i just imagine theres some reason its not listed. however on the one from sparco it does say 92-00 so i cant give him a definite answer.

backIN06

5+ Year Member
Just tell him he's an idiot if hes not running a harness... Tell him to keep his money...

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

exactly what I was going to say.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
and you'd both be wrong....:???:
lmfao! so i never got an answer...does anyone know if the ebay 92-95/01+ will fit? he bought two of the jdm harnesses off the site last i heard he said they were like 10 bucks or suttn. but he mounted them to the bolts that hold the seat down so i figured i should prolly see if this does in fact fit and tell him so he doesnt have such a ghetto and dangerous set up.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

until the roof caves in and you are held in by the harnesses, which then compress your head into your spine.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
until the roof caves in and you are held in by the harnesses, which then compress your head into your spine.
i see the problem with if he was to somehow flip his car over which i dont see happening at all. The thing now is not whether it is safe to run harnesses withought a rollbar however the harnesses are in his car as stated he picked up some ebay jdm 10dollar ones which he thought looked cool and said would work and they are bolted on the same bolts that hold the seat down to the floor so i see a harness bar as being far more safe than that. does n e one know if it will fit?

backIN06

5+ Year Member
yeah cause I forgot that your seatbelt is going to save your life when your roof caves in:roll:
I hate uneducated people who think that if your running a harness your going to be super hardcore off road 100mph+ racing....

UNTRUE... Autoxers love to be held in at events and guess what they're not getting above 25mph in most cases..... NOT GOING TO FLIP YOUR CAR...

As I previously stated.. a harness bar is to make sure your running your running your harness at a correct angle to the floor as if your aren't it COULD cause spinal compression in the event of an accident...... and even if you have a roll bar, more than half of your roof is still unprotected especially the area over your head... So it can STILL cave in...

So please.... if you don't have any ACCURATE information DON'T POST......

backIN06

5+ Year Member
i see the problem with if he was to somehow flip his car over which i dont see happening at all. The thing now is not whether it is safe to run harnesses withought a rollbar however the harnesses are in his car as stated he picked up some ebay jdm 10dollar ones which he thought looked cool and said would work and they are bolted on the same bolts that hold the seat down to the floor so i see a harness bar as being far more safe than that. does n e one know if it will fit?
yes the harness bar will work on all 92-00 civics.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah cause I forgot that your seatbelt is going to save your life when your roof caves in:roll:
I hate uneducated people who think that if your running a harness your going to be super hardcore off road 100mph+ racing....

UNTRUE... Autoxers love to be held in at events and guess what they're not getting above 25mph in most cases..... NOT GOING TO FLIP YOUR CAR...

As I previously stated.. a harness bar is to make sure your running your running your harness at a correct angle to the floor as if your aren't it COULD cause spinal compression in the event of an accident...... and even if you have a roll bar, more than half of your roof is still unprotected especially the area over your head... So it can STILL cave in...

So please.... if you don't have any ACCURATE information DON'T POST......
it turns out I do have accurate information, so i'll continue to post.

A 3pt seatbelt (what cars come equipped with standard) allows your body to move side to side incase of a rollover. So when the roof caves in an applies pressure to your head, that you're body can move with it and not against it. If you are strapped into harnesses, you're body will not be able to move and the force of the roof collapsing is MUCH stronger than your spine / back, so what do you think is going to move first?

You don't have to be going crazy fast to flip your car. It can happen if someone hits you in the correct spot or if you catch an "edge" when loosing control of the car. I know MANY auto-xers who have flipped their car and also go above 25mph.

A harness bar is a start, because yes the angle at which the harnesses are mounted IS a safety concern. However, an adequate roll bar is needed as well, to protect the roof from caving in.

My point is that race harnesses are for the track. At the track you need to have a rollbar AND harness bar OR better yet a full cage.

It's either you go with a full cage / harnesses or seatbelts / no harnesses / no cage.

I'm not arguing you to be "right", i'm just trying to save someone from doing something that could be detrimental to their safety.

backIN06

5+ Year Member
it turns out I do have accurate information, so i'll continue to post.

A 3pt seatbelt (what cars come equipped with standard) allows your body to move side to side incase of a rollover. So when the roof caves in an applies pressure to your head, that you're body can move with it and not against it. If you are strapped into harnesses, you're body will not be able to move and the force of the roof collapsing is MUCH stronger than your spine / back, so what do you think is going to move first?

You don't have to be going crazy fast to flip your car. It can happen if someone hits you in the correct spot or if you catch an "edge" when loosing control of the car. I know MANY auto-xers who have flipped their car and also go above 25mph.

A harness bar is a start, because yes the angle at which the harnesses are mounted IS a safety concern. However, an adequate roll bar is needed as well, to protect the roof from caving in.

My point is that race harnesses are for the track. At the track you need to have a rollbar AND harness bar OR better yet a full cage.

It's either you go with a full cage / harnesses or seatbelts / no harnesses / no cage.

I'm not arguing you to be "right", i'm just trying to save someone from doing something that could be detrimental to their safety.
The information that I've bolded applies to head on collisions (or collisions in general) where in a 3pt seat belt your body is able to twist and absorb the force and and the sudden stop of momentum that is occurring. When you have a harness improperly installed without the correct angle to the floor, in a sudden collision your body isn't able to twist and absorb the force and the sudden stop. So when the harness comes straight down from your shoulders (no harness bar) all the force gets pushed down on your shoulders and that's when spinal compression occurs. When the harness bar is in place, it acts as your "shoulders" so to speak, where when you are in a collision all the force is put on the harness bar and not your body, preventing spinal compression.

Cars are designed in case of a rollover to NOT cave in like a sardine can. Obviously a 100mph rollover will destroy a car, but let me tell you a car flipping at 25mph isn't going cave in, cars are just more structurally sound than that. In that case a harness is going to keep you from flying around the car like a 3pt seat belt can't.

There's no disputing that the extra protection a rollbar/ cage has over a harness bar.. But like I said before, all he harness bar is there for is to keep you safely harnessed in. Nothing more...

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
interesting statements between the two...interesting indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.