96 civic ex lowering HELP PLEASE RESPOND

youngreezy

instead of buying a whole coilover kit.. i was wondering if i can just by the coilover springs off ebay and swap them out with the stock springs on the car...ebay has adjustable coilovers......

Please and thank you

civic49

u can but ur gunna blow ur shocks fast...and dont get ebay garbage get a good brand name ull be much more satisfied in the end

youngreezy

thank you...i dnt mean a full coilover set i mean just the springs itself to replace the stock springs......so ebay isnt good? i just want something to give my ride a better look im not racing or anything

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
You can really compromise the safety of your car with cheap suspension components.

Take a read at this:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?p=3131870#

I personally don't advise anyone to spend less than $600 on lowering their car. However I think the Eibach pro kit is pretty reasonable also, and a solid company.

Basically I'm of the opinion if you can't afford to do something right you need to get your financial house in order and focus on school/work and establishing an emergency fund since you clearly aren't terrific with your finances.

civic49

^^^^^^ alittle harsh.....u can get a good drop under 600 just not coils....skunk 2 lowering springs give a pretty good drop from what iv seen and its way under 600

youngreezy

Thanks civic49.... that other Guy is a d**k...but I can get some under 600 that's a bet

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ek has some good advise there although it did come across as a bit harsh.
I think most that know what they're doing would say do it right the first time. Save up and get some decent quality.

Going with just the coilovers and no shocks will most likely blow the shocks so its highly recommended that you get those too.
I think with shopping around it is possible to get the whole set up under $500.
That being said, don't go with the no name ebay coilovers. They are junk. I've ridden in a car with those and the ride was terrible. i would never put those on my car.

In answer to your question; yes, you could.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
If you really need to lower your car and spend as little money as possible I would recommend one of the several Eibach options before I recommended much from skunk2.

Koni Srt and a solid spring/coil sleeve of your choice would work as well.

What is critical though is establishing what you're using the car for, and your ride tolerance.

Call me a d**k all you want, but I've been around the honda scene for a long time and had plenty of my own bad experiences with cheap parts. Hence why I don't recommend them. Often because a higher quality part is only a matter of patience.

Sloth_homegrown

i got the eibach pro system springs in my 98 ex coupe and they only lowered only like 1 inch in front and like 2 in back but it does ride alot smoother for only $490

civic49

look on craigslist for a good deal or the classifieds in here....or go to a couple meets and see if people r selling there old setups

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
instead of buying a whole coilover kit.. i was wondering if i can just by the coilover springs off ebay and swap them out with the stock springs on the car...ebay has adjustable coilovers......

Please and thank you
thank you...i dnt mean a full coilover set i mean just the springs itself to replace the stock springs......so ebay isnt good? i just want something to give my ride a better look im not racing or anything
You cannot use springs from a coilover setup on your OE designed shocks. The springs from coilovers have a flat top and bottom. The bottom of the spring is flat because the spring perch it rests on is flat. Whereas on a typical shock/spring setup, the spring perch has a grove in which the end of the spring sits snug in. Another reason they can't be used is because coilover springs are generally miuch much shorter than even a regular lowering spring. Most coilver springs are about 6"-8" in length unsprung. Where as a lowering springs could be 12" and up in length unsprung.

Coilover spring. Notice the spring sits flat on the spring perch.

Lowering spring. Notice the very end of the spring is not flat. The coil itself is round.

Thanks civic49.... that other Guy is a d**k...but I can get some under 600 that's a bet

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
He's not being a d**k, he's trying to help you from going down the wrong path that so many have done and regret.

If you're tight on money, you can get a good shock/spring setup anywhere from $350-$500.

If you want coilovers, you're looking at $550+.

Stay away from any no name, super cheap suspension products.