96 Civic EX: What to do?

GabrielpRivera

What's up guys. Thanks for your input. OK, so I've owned a 96 civic ex coupe for like the last few years. I've always wanted one, was gonna sell mine recently, but thinking about maybe keeping it. If so I would like to make a very tasteful, reliable, small turbo, clean engine bay, almost like it was a new car. But I need help on where to start. My car has a 98 civic engine. I just don't know where to start. Help??

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Research your butt off first. Anything a non-experienced person can think of have been answered and covered multiple times on this forum and others. Start by thoroughly reading the forced induction thread below.
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/forums/forced-induction-all-gens.59/
Once you have a rough idea of the direction you want to go with your Civic, then we can help you. Make sure to take the time to write clear, cohesive, thought out ideas and explanations as those will get the most helpful responses. Researched details will help you the most. For example, I tweaked your title and cleared up your thread for better clarity and accuracy. Being that you have a '96 Civic EX, you must have the original D16Y8 engine. A "civic engine" is insanely vague and doesnt help your cause. Also, you dont need "help" as your previous title suggested, but advice. Crying for help without reason doesnt help you learn. As the forum rules state, make your titles relevant to the content in your thread.

Research what you currently have, research what is realistically doable on it, and research what other options are available to you given you experience (be honest with yourself), capability, and budget. So start researching a lot.

Last edited:

GabrielpRivera

Ok well sorry I thought I was clear I have done my research and budget maybe like 4 5gs and like I stated before it has a 98 engine swap as far as the turbo part it's obvious I have to upgrade internals and everything to handle the extra power I don't really care to make a crazy build just something clean daily driver cleaned up engine bay little bit of boost by help I meant where do I start as far as upgrades yes exhaust intake but don't I also need to upgrade fuel system transmission shields??

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats ok. Its a learning process. Please make more of an effort to be clear with your explanations. "98 engine swap" tells us absolutely nothing. Details! What engine is it? Another D16y8? Why was it swapped? Is it auto or manual? How many miles does it have?

As far as upgrades, again provide details. We dont know you or what you know or have done or plan to do. Share some of that CLEARLY (punctuations help) so we can give good suggestions. You get what you give, and all youve told us is you have a $5000 budget. What are you power goals? Will this be a weekend car or daily driver? You need to figure out a power plant before anything else.

GabrielpRivera

I said daily driver nothing crazy meaning I'm not building a 300hp drag civic maybe 200 hp again nothing crazy it's gonna be daily driver besides in the summers I would like it to be clean turbo build for a daily driver and its manual 5 speed plus reverse not sure on the miles considering it has a engine swap that happened before I bought the car I just don't know where to start should I start with building then engine i.e. Internals what kind of exhaust should I get do I need full headers I don't want it to be a crazy build like I said a tasteful but nice build I don't plan on beating vettes or racing bikes just want a nice civic I live in Colorado so need to be able to drive it during the winter for now

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK. now we're getting somewhere.
-Daily Driver
-Turbo current engine
-approx. 200HP
-5-speed
- and most importantly, TASTEFUL

Go verify its a D16Y8. You'll see the badge right in the front in the engine bay where the engine meets the tranny. Guesswork gets you no where but broke. Start researching through the thread I linked you earlier and that'll help you know what direction to go and in what order. Is your car currently manual or auto? Do you know if the tranny is from an EX as well?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And if you did your research about how to turbo your engine then do share what you learned so forum members can reply off that.