96 Civic Gauges color. Need opinions!

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
Alright, couple months back i bough those indigo gauges from Ebay. The white ones, which lights up that light blue color. Got it and it won't work. :brickwall: It's been in my shelf for quite sometime now, collecting dust.. Finally had an urge to get it tested by a professional and feel like messing around with the car. haha

Just in case it doesn't work. I was planning on just getting LED's strips and place it in the back of the gauges. Now, what color would look best? Blue LED's or red LED's? :laugh:

Opinions please =)
Have about 4-5 hours haha. go go go!

CO671

Registered VIP
Amber. Much easier on the eyes. Why not just change the filter color, change a bezel, light-up redline, color your needles or sumfing. You could always pop-in another cluster from a 96-00 Civic based chassis or the 97-01 CRV. Re-pinning/modifying S2000, Integra and 7th gen Civic clusters are possible.
I heard you like clusters, so I present to you a cluster of clusters yo.

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
Amber. Much easier on the eyes. Why not just change the filter color, change a bezel, light-up redline, color your needles or sumfing. You could always pop-in another cluster from a 96-00 Civic based chassis or the 97-01 CRV. Re-pinning/modifying S2000, Integra and 7th gen Civic clusters are possible.
I heard you like clusters, so I present to you a cluster of clusters yo.
Damnn son! Those are some sexy cluster of clusters! :afrocorrect: I guess the amber is much more easier on the eyes huh. I'm diggin the second column, last gauge. The Si one. mhmmm! :roll: Any of these yours? :thumbs up

So kinda new to this. When you said change the filter color. You are talking about the ones on top right? Where those lights shine through? That small little thing on top of the housing? How can I manage to change that? And when I do color my needles, could you be able to see it during night time? Cause light from the gauges normally don't go through it right? On the pic, some of them light up but some don't. just curious. :D
Damn I would like the 7th Gen Civics cluster, but I don't have the knowledge to repinning/modifying it. :( hahah

CO671

Registered VIP
Damnn son! Those are some sexy cluster of clusters! :afrocorrect: I guess the amber is much more easier on the eyes huh. I'm diggin the second column, last gauge. The Si one. mhmmm! :roll: Any of these yours? :thumbs up

So kinda new to this. When you said change the filter color. You are talking about the ones on top right? Where those lights shine through? That small little thing on top of the housing? How can I manage to change that? And when I do color my needles, could you be able to see it during night time? Cause light from the gauges normally don't go through it right? On the pic, some of them light up but some don't. just curious. :D
Damn I would like the 7th Gen Civics cluster, but I don't have the knowledge to repinning/modifying it. :( hahah
I wish these were mine. I only have an auto-CRV cluster in my 99-Civic:
here's how it looks:

By filter, I was referring to this strip of film.

Here's a link I just found relating to it
:http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/258540-diy-how-to-change-96-00-gauge-cluster-light.html

Coloring your needles, I personally don't like it, I think people use some sort of highlighter or paint and a brush. I wouldn't do it though, the color will eventually fade, you might get some of the paint/markings on the cluster or gauge faces and might ruin the needles if not careful. Ruining the needles are what you want to stay away from, they're near impossible to calibrate back to factory specs.

Here's some tutorials on non-6th gen clusters into 6th gens:
s2000: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/116739-diy-s2000-cluster-ek-ej-including-bezel.html
Integra: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=97738
7th Gen Civic:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2720309
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=195635
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=41431594

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
Thanks man! Just read it. Problem is idk where to find those filters.

And you're right. i just took about my cluster and was looking around a bit. There's no way I can insert and LED strip behind the plates without taking out the needles. Which I was hesitating to do because it might ruin the calibration. Seen some other threads that they are taking it out with forks etc. but look to iffy for me. Might just go with a filter for now if I can find some and look around a bit for better bulbs. So i can just change the ones in the back. Thanks man!

...someday we'll get those gauge cluster. ahah someday..

CO671

Registered VIP
Thanks man! Just read it. Problem is idk where to find those filters.

And you're right. i just took about my cluster and was looking around a bit. There's no way I can insert and LED strip behind the plates without taking out the needles. Which I was hesitating to do because it might ruin the calibration. Seen some other threads that they are taking it out with forks etc. but look to iffy for me. Might just go with a filter for now if I can find some and look around a bit for better bulbs. So i can just change the ones in the back. Thanks man!

...someday we'll get those gauge cluster. ahah someday..
Probably at a hobby shop/arts & crafts store.

You have to take off the needles? Hmm i thought you just turn it around and insert new lights. Ouch. I read about the forks too. Well good luck with what you end up doing!

Ah, some day yes!

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have blue leds in my carbonfiber speedo, and there pretty easy to see from what i think. diffrent people dont see the same thing. but its always better to stick with a colour scene. like my car is red, and i have blue leds and a blue light up radio. thats just what im saying. but i do agree the amber si the middle bottom colom is f*ckin sweet! cheers. good luck dude.

CO671

Registered VIP
On that note of clusters; what i'd have to say is the best 96-00 Cluster though is the limited edition (only 500 vehicles made) Civic VTI Jordan (UKDM)

There are the EK VTi's, yes, but those are all in km/h I think. Civic Jordan clusters were in mph.

An orthia is nice too, but it's in kmh and i have OCD

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damnn son! Those are some sexy cluster of clusters!
And they're all Honda OEM ;). Even if you don't use OEM amber bulbs, you can use LED bulbs. I'm pretty sure you'll get hot spots but I've seen threads that show you how to get around that.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the si gauges, but with white faces instead of the black carbon fiber looking ones in my 96 hatch, and i absolutely love them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2