96 Civic Rack&pinion Removal

gearheadmike

ok 96 civic lx std trans i need to remove the steering rack, i will be ulling the subframe part with it. Can anyone tell me the steps that has to be done? i know it will have to be alighed when im done. Thanks pics would really be helpfull also. im going to try and borrow a friends 2post lift to fo this. will it take over a day?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Depends on how fast you work and how many breaks you take =)

Been a while since I did one, but, It should be something like this.

1) Center the wheels!

2) Remove/unbolt the wheels.

3) Remove the tierod ends (secret trick! with a nice hammer, hit the knuckle next to the tierod, it "should" pop right out) then you dont ruin them.

4) Exhaust & shift linkage need to be removed or moved out of the way.

5) You need to get the steering joint loose (from the rack), you do this inside of the car I think....

6) Then I think after that you just unbolt the brace, then the rack and pull it out.

It's not that hard just dont let the wheel turn, or anything like that once its unbolted from the rack or you could break the clock spring.

gearheadmike

well i need to got the route of dropping the whole subframe it attaches to do to rust,and clock spring?

Butterz

The clock spring is at the top of the steering column. The steering column unbolts from the steering rack at the floor from the inside.

It should be 6 bolts holding the subframe to the body, and as far as i know the steering rack is bolted to that.

gearheadmike

do you have to align the subframe back up when reinstalling or it just bolts up? is the lower a-arms bolted to this ?

Butterz

The subframe is just a H shaped piece of metal that acts as an anchor point for all of the front end suspension points. The Lower control arms and Steering rack are attached to it.

The only 'aligning' that needs to be done in the inner tie rods, which control the alignment of the front wheels. The Inner Tie rods attach to the steering rack, which bolts to the sub frame. So getting a wheel alignment is something you would do once you have everything reassembled.

Give me a minute to plug in my tablet and i'll draw you up an exploded view to give you a better idea.

Butterz

If you have questions, just let me know. But this is a top down view of the lower suspension components.

I drew this in like 15 minutes so have patience and just ask if there's something you dont understand.

gearheadmike

thanks, and well theres nothing wrong with my rack&pinion just the subframe has to be replaced do to rust. so ill be swapping my rack to the other frame im getting. so just so i get this right i have to remove these following things
-front wheels
-steering coler under dash
-shift linkages
-exhaust
one side of lower a--arm
-tie rod ends
-powersteering lines from rack
-o and rear transmission mount?

Butterz

Exactly. You'll need to get it aligned when it's all put back together as well.

Hopefully it works out for you!

gearheadmike

yes im not to concered about alignment ill have that done at a garage.
what would be the best way to remove the power steering lines? direct from pump or from the rack its self? Thanks

Butterz

I usually recommend from the pump because the lines at the rack are just like brake lines, and they have a tendency to seize and snap off.

gearheadmike

ok prob stupid question idk if im right but isnt the exhaust system suppose to be a 5pc set up? manifold/cat/down pipe/center pipe then tail pipe? ive noticed on mine the down pipe is welded to the center resinator part. I think the down pipe was flanged and bolted to the resinatio part but last po had it fixed and they put in and welded a aftermarket about a foot long flex pipe. if thats the case then i gess ill have to pull the whole exhaust down from the cat to tail ipe section.