96 civic revs and jerks during acceleration

BTEC83

so my 96 civic cx 5spd has developed this crazy problem.....

while the engine is still cold he car runs fine but after it warms up thats when the problem occurs, when i accelerate the car revs and surges and bogs then revs and surges, no cel, havent changed gas or anything, checked my spark plug wires and they look pretty old and the 2 middle ones appear to be burnt and when this happened i popped the hood and it did smell like they were burning, si i plan on changing out the wires and plugs this weekend and see if that fixes the problem. Any other suggestions as to why this is happening and what would cause my wires to burn likt that? any help would be appreciated, thanks

RonJ

Banned
Also replace the distributor cap and rotor.

If the problem continues after the tune up, check whether unplugging the primary O2 sensor eliminates the problem.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
do a full tune up spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and if its time for it you may as well change the oil and any filters that need it as well
if it hasnt been done or hasnt been done in a long time i would go ahead and run some fuel system cleaner thru the car
the last thing is if you want to personally i would, but its up to you
after you do these things get back to us and let us know if the problem has went away, gotten a little better, worse ust update us. Also if the wires really did burn make sure that they are tied up where they are supposed to be and not touching anything hot

BTEC83

thanks for the replies guys, will grab a new cap and rotor with the wires and plugs this weekend, hopefully it works, if not ill try unplugging the primary o2, will let you know how it goes, thanks again