96 D16Y7 devil engine

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm having some problems with my Civic. It starts hard, runs terribly, and stalls constantly. It's running rich as far as I can tell, as there is the presence of gas on the plugs, and the only way to get the car to start is to crank it over with it floored with the fuel pump fuse pulled and to replace the fuse while doing this. Otherwise it will just flood. I know the exhaust manifold is badly cracked.

The exhaust manifold cracked, or at least more so, last winter at just about the same time the heater core went out, so I never got to notice the problems with the way the car ran, as I wasn't driving the car until I got around to replacing the heater core. That was yesterday that I replaced the heater core.

So, could the bad exhaust manifold be the cause of the flooding, because it's throwing off the O2 sensor? My logic is that it's letting in air near the O2 sensor, making it think it's running lean, and the car is DUMPING fuel in to compensate. I've already ordered a header to replace it, but I want to know if I should look for something more sinister in the mean time.

RonJ

Banned
CEL codes?

Yes, the cracked header is making the engine run rich. This has likely fouled the plugs. Replace the plugs if they look nasty. Also inspect the cap and rotor.

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No codes until I unplugged the O2 sensors. Now the car actually runs okay, though, so it must be the manifold causing the issues.