96 DX questions...new to hondas

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2 doors and 4 doors have the same exhaust length and everything. hatchbacks are the only ones that differ.
any 2 door dx,lx, will fit ur 4 door no problem.
if u get an EX exhaust u will also have to buy a test pipe to fill the gap where the cat would be on the EX. the DX has the cat on the exhaust manifold. making the need for the testpipe
hope this helps

Redbone

Movin on up...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
majestic honda is good for OEM parts or if you want the parts #s try bkhondaparts.com I also like importrp.com for cheaper prices on aftermarket parts. ordered a bunch of stuff from them and never had any problems. Customer service is good too.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude u want a cheap loud exhaust?? go to your nearest muffler shop n have them make u a 2 1/2 inch straight pipe with either an ES Tuning oval or Magnaflo muffler.

your shifter bushing might b bad thats y is loose. energy has a good shifter bushing kit.
your rough idle can b your fast idle control valve. its behind tha intake mani with a plug connected to it n cooling lines. take it out n clean it or replace it.

Praetor353

5+ Year Member
thanks honda98civic and redbone. ej2rey, yeah thatd be sweet but a magnaflow muffler alone is 200ish, minus the labor and piping. i got what i needed, im gonna buy a coupe exhaust off a site ive had some luck with.

the shifter feels like its return spring is gone. i figured i could rebuild it and get away with that. im gonna check and clean the fiacv, thanks for that tip. its throwing a code now, not sure which one but it happened when i unplugged the TPS and replugged it. hasnt gone off since, im going to reset the ecu and see if i can duplicate that

EDIT: the fast idle thermo valve apparently was removed for 96-above OBD2 models. so its gotta be the TPS. i reset the ecu and no code. im going to see if i can get it inspected like this, and if it fails ill order a new sensor

Redbone

Movin on up...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the IACV if you have one, you'll prob have to look it up in a service manual

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah thatd be sweet but a magnaflow muffler alone is 200ish, minus the labor and piping.
idk where u get that price for tha magnaflow but muffler shops should have them or autozone for about $80. even tha es oval tuning muffler u can get for about $80.

EDIT: the fast idle thermo valve apparently was removed for 96-above OBD2 models.
if by fast idle thermo valve u mean "fast idle control valve" then u got sum bad info from whoever told u that. all d series obd1 and obd2a/b have a FICV. they need it to run correctly.
but if u did disconnect tha tps then u are going to throw a cell even if u connected it back. locate tha ecu fuse under the hood fuse box n remove it for like about 5 seconds n put it back or just disconnect tha battery n that should reset tha cell. if after that ur still throwing a cell then check the codes. u have another sensor disconnected or not working.

Praetor353

5+ Year Member
oh yeah sorry on the magnaflow...i get all my prices online, sites like amazon and aftermarket sites. the ones i used to look at are 200 but yes i found the ones you were talking about. always an option

sorry about the fast idle valve...im off my game today. is that the same as fast idle thermo valve? according to most of the internet, the thermo valve was for pre-obd2 cars. i reset the ECU, no codes. that means its not the TPS then right? im having trouble locating the FICV. im going to take a harder look now

and about what you said "whoever told you that"...unfortunatly i have nobody to tell me anything about hondas, none of my friends are even close to mechanics, let alone honda techs. im forced to learn everything i know from the internet :(

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah sorry on the magnaflow...i get all my prices online, sites like amazon and aftermarket sites. the ones i used to look at are 200 but yes i found the ones you were talking about. always an option

sorry about the fast idle valve...im off my game today. is that the same as fast idle thermo valve? according to most of the internet, the thermo valve was for pre-obd2 cars. i reset the ECU, no codes. that means its not the TPS then right? im having trouble locating the FICV. im going to take a harder look now
if ur not throwing anymore cells that mean u have all tha sensors connected n working.
u can locate tha FICV behind the intake mani. it should look like this or similar...
http://www.autozone.com/R,5399804/vehicleId,2173004/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,5495/partType,00207/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
tha one on tha pic its actually upside down. the 2 water jackets are going to b facing down on your car with 2 small water hoses connecting to each water jacket. n a plug connected to it too.

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I get all my information from google and forums like these. I'm the only guy I know who drives a Honda. Small town Nebraska. There are lots of good sources of information and everything you could possibly ask has been asked already, just gotta get good at finding the answer.

Praetor353

5+ Year Member
if ur not throwing anymore cells that mean u have all tha sensors connected n working.
u can locate tha FICV behind the intake mani. it should look like this or similar...
http://www.autozone.com/R,5399804/vehicleId,2173004/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,5495/partType,00207/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
tha one on tha pic its actually upside down. the 2 water jackets are going to b facing down on your car with 2 small water hoses connecting to each water jacket. n a plug connected to it too.
thanks man. i found it, im gonna go take it out and try and clean it up with some TB cleaner