96 EX Cold Start Problem

GreenBeans0420

Respected
Hell everyone,
I have a 96 EX Civic that dislikes the cold MN winters. Only after sitting overnight will I have issues starting my car. I will crank it for about 5 seconds, if it does not fire, I give about half throttle and it starts. Once it is started it runs great, no idling issues, will restart fine later in the day. I've done a full tune up when I purchased it, and it seems like a fuel pressure issue. If I turn the key on and off 4-5 times letting the pump cycle, starting is not an issue. Could it be the pump going bad? I have had this happen once in the summer when I didn't drive it for a week. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks everyone

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe the main relay is going bad, in colder or warmer Temps the solder joints shrink and swell losing contact (if the solder is cracked) causing a no start issue or stalling and stuff like that. Main relay is under the passenger dash on the side (above right foot if you were passenger), you can pull it out and take the plastic cover off and inspect the solder joint, if you see hairline cracks in the joints it's time to solder or buy a new main relay.

daperez13

Respected
Hell everyone,
I have a 96 EX Civic that dislikes the cold MN winters. Only after sitting overnight will I have issues starting my car. I will crank it for about 5 seconds, if it does not fire, I give about half throttle and it starts. Once it is started it runs great, no idling issues, will restart fine later in the day. I've done a full tune up when I purchased it, and it seems like a fuel pressure issue. If I turn the key on and off 4-5 times letting the pump cycle, starting is not an issue. Could it be the pump going bad? I have had this happen once in the summer when I didn't drive it for a week. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks everyone
Yeah, it could be that the system is loosing pressure. Usually, this is not a big deal unless the pump does not build any pressure after priming.

i recently did battery and main relay on my 97 ex its pretty simple and like what was described above its held down with two screws that are easily visible in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery

GreenBeans0420

Respected
Thank you for the advice, will be looking into that shortly. After I get done replacing exhaust mainfold, and doing a cat back system due to the resinator cupling rusting out and falling off. Doing an oil pan gasket also in the process.

while your doing the cat system wouldint it be easier to do the oil pan while you already got the car up? just a suggestion

GreenBeans0420

Respected
while your doing the cat system wouldint it be easier to do the oil pan while you already got the car up? just a suggestion
Yes it is all being done at the same time, I am currently waiting on parts for the exhaust, so getting the gasket done now. Living in the sticks makes it difficult to get parts quickly.

i bet man i live in rural canada getting any name brand stuff (hks,greddy,injen) is near impossible locally everything has to ordered in

GreenBeans0420

Respected
i bet man i live in rural canada getting any name brand stuff (hks,greddy,injen) is near impossible locally everything has to ordered in
I feel your pain, all the parts need to be ordered in to a local store or I purchase them online and have a direct shipment. Most of the local junk yards are slim pickins, and rarely carry anything except domestic vehicle parts.

GreenBeans0420

Respected
So all new exhaust. New header, cat and beyond. Relay switch checks out. My next question is, if it's a pressure issue, is the pump the problem? Thanks again!