96 HX d16y5 TURBO OR ALL MOTOR?

Insane96hx

im on the process of building this 96 hx coupe it has a d16y5 fresh i recently blew the b18c1 it had so i replaced it wit the d16 (yeah i know the b series has more potential) i got an extra 2k to throw into it this month i want to build a semi beast atleast what do you recommend it runs me 1500 to simply turbo the d16 but i also into the whole all motor but it seem like more money and work! let me know what u recommend!

Trekk

Registered VIP
You should maybe state your goals, but if you are thinking all motor D, don't, cause its a waste of money.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
although it is possible to boost the hx motor, its doesn't have the best head for performance..the transmission is nice and geared long though..as stated above me building a N/A d series will bring disappointment.

Insane96hx

Yeah i called the shop and the guy even said " u want to turbo the most economical d series" its possible but pretty much worthless i want more power but dont want to rip out the motor it runs so smooth and barely has over 60k thats why i wanted to build it! But i guess turbo it is! never had a turbo! Does anyone know were i can get a turbo setup for a low price but a legit shop that does their work right over in the inland empire (riverside)

Butterz

As said before, Buy a B20. Then you can build a boosted, LSVTEC monster later.

Not to mention the B20 has great base power to begin with.

Coming from someone that's boosted a D series, it always costs WAY more than you expect in the beginning.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Well I'll also defend an HX anyday, cuase I had one. In stock form I used to race my friends EX all the time and he always had me by 1/2 a car. He had a 4-2-1 header where I had a 4-1 and the longer gears. We both would beat EM1's all the time.
I later boosted my HX and made 217whp but turned it down to around 200whp. Really the only thing that was holding me back was the stock motor, but mostly the rods.
An HX is really only a economical car if driven slow, and shift when the light tells you too. According to the paperwork, an HX's cam has more lift on the intake and exhaust then a Y8. However I've never seen a side by side flow bench of the 2 heads to prove it moves more air.

blkej7

hungry for boost
I would go b series. I had a y5 in my hx and it was terrible. Great gas milage but no fun. I did a lot of research before buying .my r motor about the y5 and its potential. It's just not worth boosting or building. A b20 turbo would make u very happy if u want to go that route it is cheaper than other b series and has lots of low end go. Slapping a turbo kit on and a good tune should put u around 300 HP a y5 couldn't reach those numbers with out internals and a nice turbo set up.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EX manifold and a EX trans also a bigger throttle body
hx and ex has basically the same intake manifold set up..boosted y5's aren't bad if thats all you have to work with..getting up to 300 on any d-series isn't easy and will take work..but they spool quicker than b-series so if you build it right with the right size turbo etc it should be fine

CmojiHX

Damn Pigeons
hx and ex has basically the same intake manifold set up..boosted y5's aren't bad if thats all you have to work with..getting up to 300 on any d-series isn't easy and will take work..but they spool quicker than b-series so if you build it right with the right size turbo etc it should be fine
Not necessarily the y5 mani has a egr valve I'm pretty sure it has smaller runners.
also you can swap out throttle body for a b series tb on y8 mani

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not necessarily the y5 mani has a egr valve I'm pretty sure it has smaller runners.
also you can swap out throttle body for a b series tb on y8 mani
there will still not be significant gains doing so..i've tried both on my old hx motor and it wasn't worth the couple hundred buying and tuning..for those wanting to tune up the hx, i say either do a full mini-me or just leave it and have fun with it the way it is..

hondasport

i have a y5 boosted it a fun car but the fist thing you should do if you go boost is get a new head cause the y5 runs on 8 valves untel you hit vtec then it runs all 16 valves so you dont start to fully boost untill you hit vtec....... its slow at the bootom of each gear but i have a t3-t4 turbo if your going to boost the y5 go with a smaller turbo. im going b20 very soon so thats why i went t3-t4

Trekk

Registered VIP
You bumped an old thread, but the Y5 head isnt that bad, the switch over point is under 3,000 RPMs so its not like you are really in the boost at that point.