96 Idle and electrical problems.. I think?

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
Alright guys. Let's start with the idle. My idle is normal once the car starts, but when I turn my A/C on it gets really low, close to 0. Or when I brake suddenly it gets close enough to 0. To where its about to shuts down. I recently changed the fanbelt for the A/C, but the problem is still there. Any suggestions guys? Also, on the electrical problem. While driving, I switched on my high beams. Then suddenly the RPM, speedometer all went down to zero, the radio and climate control turned off, and headlights too. This happened for like a quick second, then everything turned back on. So what is the problem here guys? Where should i look first? :brickwall::worthy:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As far as the idle goes, check for vacuum leaks. I would check the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold if the problem is experienced under braking. Your brake booster itself might also be bad.

For the electrical issues, they sound pretty weird. First thing I would do would be to check all the grounds and make sure they are securely attached. You could also check for blown fuses.

jbullet93

You should check a small knob (or screw like bolt) on top of your throttle body. it should be a flathead screw driver like.. turn the car on and play with it and as to the lighting mess with he dimmer or restart the ecu by unplugging the battery for ten minutes negative cable only! hope it helps!!

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
As far as the idle goes, check for vacuum leaks. I would check the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold if the problem is experienced under braking. Your brake booster itself might also be bad.

For the electrical issues, they sound pretty weird. First thing I would do would be to check all the grounds and make sure they are securely attached. You could also check for blown fuses.
Alright, I'm going to look into the brake booster and for vacuum leaks. How would I know is the brake booster is bad? haha

Yeah, it was weird since it only happened last night. Just driving home, then everything would shut down. Lights, etc. The grounds seem to be fine. Im going to check the fuses right now. Thanks for the help. :suprise:

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
You should check a small knob (or screw like bolt) on top of your throttle body. it should be a flathead screw driver like.. turn the car on and play with it and as to the lighting mess with he dimmer or restart the ecu by unplugging the battery for ten minutes negative cable only! hope it helps!!
So just play around with the throttle body? How would I know if its the "right place" Sorry bro kinda new to this. hehe I'll probably restart the ECU. Let's hope that will work. Cause this is weird how everything just shuts down while im driving. I was just waiting if the engine would too. haha

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, I'm going to look into the brake booster and for vacuum leaks. How would I know is the brake booster is bad? haha

Yeah, it was weird since it only happened last night. Just driving home, then everything would shut down. Lights, etc. The grounds seem to be fine. Im going to check the fuses right now. Thanks for the help. :suprise:
The way to tell if it is bad is a crappy idle haha. If there are no vacuum leaks and the idle is still bad, then that is the culprit. PM TigBitties on here, I think he changed his brake booster before for that reason. I don't think the idle adjustment screw will fix it, that is mainly for fine tuning the idle, but it is worth a shot.

Spideyman20015

I was having a problem with my Idle when I had my A/C on and I was sitting at a red light. Turns out the fan in front of the engine, or in the grill, wasn't working. All I had to do was replace the fan and it was working great again.

I rarely ever have Idle trouble anymore, but once in awhile It chugs a little bit. I think I have to clean my throttle body maybe.