96romaCX CIVIC hatchback BUILD THREAD

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Dang... I hate freaking rain.
Yeah, the rain can be a damper that's for sure. Especially here on the west coast as I live in Portland, Oregon. We have rain QUITE often but i enjoy it. It's all those Californians that come up that swear up & down at the rain and have a hard time driving in it :P

At any rate, I got a garage to do my work in but you should DEFINITELY just go get like a really cheap canopy tent structure thing... You know what I'm talking about right? Set that up over your car and make sure it has at least a 3'+ overhang all around (in case a breeze comes when it rains and blows the rain in at a slight angle). They are relatively cheap and it will definitely help you out. Especially since it looks like you're from NC.

Still deciding myself on how I'm going to strip out my interior. If I'm going to use that spray on liner from the cans (been told it works really well if you get the right brand) or if I'm going to leave it all carpet or if I'll leave it bare metal and repaint it. I enjoy the center console being in there to rest my arm while I'm driving and to use my wired up switches for accent lighting and sub master on/off but I'm afraid it would look tacky if I had everything pulled but that lol.

Will be monitoring your thread waiting for your pics man, cause you might sway my decision o.O 'Cept I have a coupe. Boo-Hiss lol.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a garage I do all my work in at home, but thank you for the suggestion on the tent that would be sweet in a bind working on something.

The reason I can't paint In the rain is because of the humidity, aerosol and humidity do not mix at all! When the paint flashes after being laid the evaporating chemicals in the aerosol cause a dramatic drop in temperature, making condensation form as moisture is pulled from the air into the paint. Layer after layer of this makes aerosol paint gross and opaque/flat looking, plus orange peeling and fish eyeing like hell, so the best weather to wait on is 70-80 degree weather, with humidity less than 40%.

I think the bed liner will be pretty cool no matter what, rock a gutted coupe interior if you want! Its your project! :D

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its always humid in Houston, I spray problem free as long as I'm careful about it. A few years painting in the military helps. Its not but it's doable.

Danielrod61

Registered VIP
Its always humid in Houston, I spray problem free as long as I'm careful about it. A few years painting in the military helps. Its not but it's doable.
For real. Haha. It's sometimes it's so humid that plants start sweating. Just have to be nimble about it.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I tried to paint my fuel pump cover and it blushed horribly! So i took it into the basment and stripped it quickly with the wire wheel.

I've always wanted to apprentice painting and body work, I have a few friends I could try to contact about renting a spray booth and getting it over with.

It just sucks I worked so hard this week and the weather changed on me.

Danielrod61

Registered VIP
For real. Haha. It's sometimes it's so humid that plants start sweating. Just have to be nimble about it.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So the forcast was all screwed up and the sun has been out all day, I detailed my friends 06' civic si and prepped for paint!
The base coat is down and I'm waiting 30 min to clear, I'll have pics up soon!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its finally done!!! I can't beleive I did so well!!! Preparation for any paint job is the KEY people!! My first paint/body work project so I'm a little excited guys!

Well guys its finished, now its about beer thirty.. So I'm gonna go take it easy :rolf:

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
dude, you did an amazing job! you might have just swayed me and gave me that extra nudge to add this project to my official to-do list. think ill have a beer with ya. cheers man.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you man very much!

I'm going to cut and buff it this weekend, 2mrw I'm tucking my harness and re installing the front seats. I'll do the side panels and everything else after the finish. I'm very happy with the results for sure!

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Agreed, same here!

Yeah, I got a detail to do tomorrow on a Clients black Nissan Skyline GTR as well. Detailing cars NEVER gets old... Unless it's a family van that has french frys from McDonalds all over the place :/

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks you guys I'm glad I got it over with and finished yesterday for sure, all that's left is tucking the harness and cut and buff