97 Civic DX Tranny Problems :(

MrChuckJunior

Greetings members of ClubCivic. I'm new to the site, and I'm having some transmission issues with my automatic 97 Civic DX, and I hope someone can provide some suggestions.

My uncle gave me the Civic because I'm about to go to college 3 1/2 hours away, and the fuel mileage was a major improvement from the Chevy Astro work van I'd been driving. I knew from the beginning about the transmission problems, but didn't quite know what was causing the issue.

When you first start the car and drive, everything works like normal. Once the transmission gets warm, however, the vehicle loses 1st gear and overdrive and, essentially, becomes a stick shift, meaning you have to take off in 2nd low gear and shift back up through D3 to D4.

My question is, since the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in forever, could this be a case of bad transmission fluid, or am I going to have to sink another transmission into it? Or is it something else that I'm not even considering? Any help or suggestions are gladly appreciated. Thank you in advance :D

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Change the fluid see what happens if doesnt work right still get a new tranny