97 Civic EX - replace melted hose in coolant reservoir?

kris6387

Hi everybody, new to the forums, hope I'm posting in the correct section..

I took pictures to illustrate my issue. Recently, the check engine light came on .. brought it to the mechanic and apparently I needed a new "Coolant Temperature Sensor"... Had the temp sensor replaced. Ok, so I thought that was the end of my problems when i discovered this:

The rubber hose has been melting (I dont know for how long, but no more than a month at most)

Would this be the proper replacement part?

Any help is appreciated. I'd rather fix this issue myself than bring it back to the mechanic. It seems easy enough? Lol wishful thinking

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Just get piece of high temp hose or whatever from some auto store. Boom, done. I have NEVER EVER seen that hose melt! That's crazy right there.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy s**t! How hot is your engine getting for the coolant to melt that?!?!

+2 for just getting a chunk of hose. No need to buy that specific part. It's only rubber.

kris6387

lethal6, I have no idea why this is happening. It surprised the crap outta me when I found it like that.
new here, what does did the +2 comment mean? lol

i should thoroughly clean out the melted rubber residue from the reservoir, right? I mean, how the hell did my mechanic not notice this...

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy s**t thats insane. Did your mechanic swap the original hose with some damn windsheild wiper hose or something. That's crazy!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lethal6, I have no idea why this is happening. It surprised the crap outta me when I found it like that.
new here, what does did the +2 comment mean? lol

i should thoroughly clean out the melted rubber residue from the reservoir, right? I mean, how the hell did my mechanic not notice this...
+2 just meant that I was agreeing with what AlaskaB16 said.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
guys, not sure if it was actually melting from heat, or if was accumulated crap/breaking down from the coolant. My 92 had similar issue with it's resevoir hose as well. Mine seemed to be breaking down, so I grabbed another hose and bottle from the local yard

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
When I first saw this I was like... No, tell me you didn't pour oil in the coolant tank...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did any of whatever melted actually get into the reservoir tank? I'd check under your radiator cap just in case.