97 Civic Hatch - D16y7 - Overheating

Addikt

Hey everyone, I am new around here. Though I don't post much, I know you all may be of some help to me.

Just recently I have gotten a 97 Civic Hatch with a D16y7 in it. This is not the original motor as I was given a receipt for someone who installed a new (used) one. Blah Blah Blah.

My problem is, it over heats. I will try to give you all of the details I can. So here it goes! Also, thanks for any help in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

At this time I am running it with no thermostat, and it is still over heating. If I am driving down the road and have the A/C on. It will run warm after roughly twenty minutes of driving it. However, if I am driving and it begins to run warm I can turn the heat on and it will drop temps fast. Now, with the heater on and no thermostat. I could drive around all day probably without any issue.

There was a thermostat in it, and I took it out to see how it runs. I tested the thermostat in a boiling pot of water and it opened several times after several repeated tests. So I know that it is good, but I am continuing to drive the car without it for the time being.

I went to Advance and rented a Rad Pressure Tester to see if the cooling system was holding pressure. It held 16 pounds and lost one pound over about 10 minutes. I cannot see any coolant on the ground or in the oil. It also doesn't appear to be coming out of the exhaust.

I went and rented a compression tester from Autozone. All Cylinders came out between 100-110LBS. I've been told thats low, but I don't believe it is affecting my cooling.

I have a video I am going to share with you all. I apologize about my southern voice, but hey...it is what it is :oops::???:

LINKY LINKY

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey everyone, I am new around here. Though I don't post much, I know you all may be of some help to me.

Just recently I have gotten a 97 Civic Hatch with a D16y7 in it. This is not the original motor as I was given a receipt for someone who installed a new (used) one. Blah Blah Blah.

My problem is, it over heats. I will try to give you all of the details I can. So here it goes! Also, thanks for any help in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

At this time I am running it with no thermostat, and it is still over heating. If I am driving down the road and have the A/C on. It will run warm after roughly twenty minutes of driving it. However, if I am driving and it begins to run warm I can turn the heat on and it will drop temps fast. Now, with the heater on and no thermostat. I could drive around all day probably without any issue.

There was a thermostat in it, and I took it out to see how it runs. I tested the thermostat in a boiling pot of water and it opened several times after several repeated tests. So I know that it is good, but I am continuing to drive the car without it for the time being.

I went to Advance and rented a Rad Pressure Tester to see if the cooling system was holding pressure. It held 16 pounds and lost one pound over about 10 minutes. I cannot see any coolant on the ground or in the oil. It also doesn't appear to be coming out of the exhaust.

I went and rented a compression tester from Autozone. All Cylinders came out between 100-110LBS. I've been told thats low, but I don't believe it is affecting my cooling.

I have a video I am going to share with you all. I apologize about my southern voice, but hey...it is what it is :oops::???:

LINKY LINKY
100-110lbs is pretty low. It should average 140-160lbs across all cylinders. Check your head gasket!

Trekk

Registered VIP
Rings are checked by doing a dry test then a wet test, if the numbers go up, its a ring problem.
Wet test = Put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and do the test again.

160ish is normal, older motors have carbon in them, which tends to make the comprssion go up higher,

100-110 is low,

is the car using up antifreeze?

Addikt

It was but I believe that was due to it overheating and boiling it off. Since I have taken the thermostat out, it doesn't seem to do it.

Did you all watch my video and see its behavior?