97 Civic Hatch with B16a2: Speedo & Tach don't work

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
Hello every one im new to the whole riceburner car thing iv always wanted one now i got the one i want111 Hurray!!! lol....My name is jon and i would like to know what all i should upgrade im realy new to this so please dum it down for me lol

CAR: 1997 Honda Civic Hatch

Engine: B16A2-HM DOHC Vtec

ECM: Z-4 37820-P2T-A12

What all should i do and where do i start? and where is the best place to buy... i dont have a bunch of money im just looking to do 1 thing at a time =)

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whale penis,header,stage 2 camshaft,harder motor mounts.

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
whale penis?? wow thats not right? where is the camshaft? and why harder motor mounts? im realy car stupid please i dont have any one to help me so im trying to figure this out......... can u please be more grown up bout it with a stright answer??

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
Please HELP ME SOME ONE!!! B16a2

I have a B16A2 i want to know what i can do to beef it up a little? i also want to know if the ecm i have is VTEC compatabul?

ECM: Z-4 37820-P2T-A12

ENGINE: B16A2-HM

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whale penis is the nick name for the passwordjdm or memoryfab intakes. Google those and post pics of your car using photobucket.com.

Copy the IMG code and paste it in the reply box on here. I'm curious to what your drop looks like.

that_sick_eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a v stack intake.. way better then the whale penis and cheaper. get a good header.. not the cheap ebay ones or dc. they r crap.... and plus it matters wat u wanna do with this motor n/a or boost

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP: the possibilities are endless! what is your HP goal? Do you want to go fast in a straight line or do you like curves? Do you want it to look like a furious and fast car or be more JDM look? once you figure out what you want to do, then come back.. Oh yea, Bring alot of $$$ too.. going fast isnt cheap!

No Money = No Mods

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
well there is a pick of my drop on the top of the page ... =).... and for some odd reason the gauge cluster is not working and the vtec dont seem to be kicking in i dont know whats wrong, im lost and no one will help me ???? i dont know if i have the right ecu or not can you help me some one please?????????????

http://img143.imageshack.us/i/dsc00126u.jpg/

ECU: Z-4 37820-P2T-A12

ENGINE: B16A2-HM

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fast!!!!!!!!! All Motor !!!!!!
a fast all motor b16 isnt cheap.
Since you dont know anything about what you're doing id recommend buying and intake, header, and exhaust.

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
yea so i dont know what is causeing its vtec to not kick in and i dont even know if it has the right ecu? my gauge cluster dont even work so im lost? ive read and looked through so many blogs trying to figure this out please help me ?? does anyone know what ECU goes on a B16A2-HM motor ??? and the car had headers on it but thay took them off before i bought it... the current ECU is Z-4 37820-p2t-A12

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your p2t is the right ecu....do you have a CEL (check engine light)?
engine temp, oil pressure, vtec solenoid, knock sensor, and 02 sensor need to be in proper working order for vtec to work (unless your ecu was chipped to bypass checking them)

jontatum1985

5+ Year Member
i have no clue if it was chiped or not? :( what about the gauge cluster it dont work eather nothing works except the engine temp, i think that works lol, the cluster seems to be all pluged in?

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Usually it's the vss, common problem that makes the speedo not work. unless they did a hack job with the wiring or cluster. take out the cluster and double check. hope that kind helps kinda. Helps to search the site, most people have had the same problems.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
id suggest buying haynes manual and just doing some reading in that. thats how i learned alot of stuff. and the thing is only 20 bucks

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check fuses??? or could be short in a wire somewhere. check with one of them meter things (someone help me out with the name for that tool) or your speedometer coulda just taken a dump on you. take out the cluster and test it in someone elses civic if theyll let you.