97 civic wont start in hot weather

augievelas

I have a 97 civic and it has been hot lately so I'm guessing that is one of the reasons it wont start sometimes. Everything seems fine in the mornings but after work my car won't start. The only way it would start if we push start it or if I wait till later on the day and it will start. Its driving me crazy, any ideas? Thank you guys

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
+1 on the relay. Doing the solder repair fixed a 96 Integra I had earlier this summer. I also had a similar problem with a D16a6 not starting once the engine reached normal temp. Turned out to be the dizzy.

augievelas

relay

So it can be the relay even if it doesn't crank over? It starts when I push start it

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
steal one at the junk yard
Wtf does that have to do with his question?

So it can be the relay even if it doesn't crank over? It starts when I push start it
It's possible. Not common as it runs the pump and the injectors but it has happened.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No crank but able to push starts makes me think either a bad starter solenoid or poor battery to starter wire connection somewhere.

Main relay controls the fuel pump, so if you were having trouble with it, you wouldn't even be able to push start it.

Maybe, possibly ignition switch itself, but I've had them fail more in the run position, not the start position.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yep hit the starter with a screw driver or similar while trying to start and see if that helps...

If so its a starter problem.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
word^ either that or just try to jump it directly. If you turn the key and don't hear the fuel pump prime or main relay click then its most likely the relay. Especially if you can jump the starter directly and make it start. If you hear a loud click at the starter its either starter going bad or not getting enough voltage. Mine did the loud click at the starter when my clutch switch wire shorted and was only letting like 5 volts get to the starter.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont feel like explaining how the starter solenoid works...