97 dx ran poorly, now won't start.

Blacksmith1

it ran like a carborated car with a clogged fuel filter. so we changed that. didn't help looked at the spark, it was orange so we cleaned the cap and rotor now it's blue but the car won't start at all. it was starting with hesitation and stalling when you hit the gas. it now chugs a bit threatening to start but won't. treid using a bit of ether, still won't start. the timing belt is fairly new as is the head. both are in good condition. the fuel pump is pushing fuel but i can't find the test port to check the pressure. I thought maybe the EGR but I can't find one or any place for it on the car... any ideas what to check next? see somthing I missed?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have a check engine light on

Blacksmith1

it's been on for awhile. the car started in between te first post and now. will rev if done carfully but don't want to run. step on the gas like you would to drive it and it tries to stall. this car belongs to a friends daughter who just got a job so she' broke. I'm trying to keep her from spending anything she doesn't have to.

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Check IACV? Throttle valve? Idle screw? What code is it throwing?

Blacksmith1

Check IACV?
translation please
Throttle valve?
if you mean the valvebody assembly, it seems fine.
Idle screw?
idles fine when it runs. it's when you step on the gas that it has problems. ease on it gently it reves up nice and high, hit it like you need to get off the line it dies
What code is it throwing?
this I do not know. as i don't have access to a code reader, and unlike the fords I'm used to, it doesn't flash the code at you. just a steady check engine light.

brettait

well i don't think so that you've missed something,you had tried perfectly,but as per me it is far better that you can check it with an experienced person.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why dont you see what the CEL is on for?

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Intake Air Control Valve. But you said it idled fine? So nvm. Lol. Ummm, check your injectors? And fuel filter? Possibly a timing belt issue?

Are you getting any misfires? CEL?
Autozone will read your code for free.

Blacksmith1

the CEL is on steady, has been since she bought the car over a year ago.
how does one check the injectors? I have injector cleaner in it ATM. replaced the fuel filter first thing.(see above) and the head and belt are still pretty new. did a visual inspection
of the belt, it's tight and looks fine.
I put a known good MAP sensor on it, no change.
I guess I'm gonna have to have some one pull the codes....

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Strongly suggest pulling the codes. It'll narrow down your search greatly. I do believe that autozone will let you rent out an obd-1 code reader.

stateofjustin

If it runs PERFECT at idle, you can eliminate a lot of stuff. If it doesn't run perfect, well... more info needed on how it does run at idle. Question is what increases when you press down the accelerator... You let in more air (MAP), the ECM says MORE FUEL NEEDED, and as long as we have spark of sufficient quality, we are a go. if it idles fine, and you are SURE the MAP is good (because on a MAF car, the first thing we would swap was the MAF, the symptoms are exact). You really need to check your FPR.

Also, not sure on your year... crank sensor? cam sensor?

Condition of spark plugs would tell you a lot too, I'd pull them and reference their condition.

Black Yoshi

Had a similar problem a few years back, change the air filter that might not help though, i never figured out what it was...hope you can fix the problem good luck, i ended up selling.