98 Civic Coupe EX D16Y8 Non Start

Irawk_EK

Hello Everyone... I recently Bought a 1998 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8).... I bought the car not running... According to the Old Owner, The Car lost Compression... I brought the car to my house.. Charged up the Battery and turned the key.... The Motor turns but doesn't cut on...I haven't did a compression test quite yet hoping to do that tomorrow or sometime this week.. So what I'm really asking is What could cause this motor to lose it's compression? A Summary of what the Old Owner Said Happened @ the time... She was driving Home from work & the car shut off on her... She said she waited 30 minutes later and the car crunk up and didn't have much power @ all... Highest she could go was 25 MPH to make it home.... According to her she got a mechanic to compression test each cylinder and The Mechanic told her no compression... I first checked to see if it was a head gasket, But there's not mixture in the oil... Any other idea's will be highly appreciated... I Ordered a full engine gasket set and OEM Timing Belt and Water Pump which should be here by this weekend or Monday... Until then info is highly appreciative... Thank You!=)

Sifreak23

Could have bad pistons. take the spark plkugs and check with light down in tube to see what the piston tops like...also could be bad valves.

MecTuner314

A engine can lose compression by leakage of air through one or more of only three Routes : Intake or exhaust valve , pistion rings ( or the piston itself if there is a hole in it ) or from the cylinder head gasket. I think that you should first perform a compression test on the Engine. for the best results the engine should be warmed to normal operating temperature before testing.Perform the test and Record the highest and Lowest readings then compare the results. If your not sure how to do this look on line or ask a local technician .Most vehicle manufactures specify the minimum commpression reading and the maximum allowable variation among the cylinders. Most manufactures specify a maximum difference of 20% between the highest reading and the lowest reading. For example : if the highest reading is 150psi , subtract 20% (30psi) , so the lowest allowable compression would be 120psi. if you perform the compression test and the compression guage fails to climb during all compression strokes you have a valve sticking open , if the compression guage readings are 20 psi below normal you may have faulty piston rings or multiple Valves seating incorrectly. if the compression guage readings are more than 20psi below normal in two cylinders next to each other , you have a faulty or blown head gasket. if the compression gauge readings are 20psi above normal you have excesssive carbon build up in the combustion chamber ( you can get rid of that by usinge seafoam or by getting a fuel system cleaning service at any repair shop. they also have other test you can perform to diagonise the problem.After you have performed the compression test. Let me know whats happens hope i helped out .

Irawk_EK

Mectuner most definitely man... Thats some good info brother.. Welcome to Clubcivic!!! Adding you as a friend to let you know..