98 Civic EX acceration issues

GnrlKll

5+ Year Member
Car seems to be bogging down in first until a certain RPM. And after shifted into second the car seems to jerk/stutter/something of that sort in lower RPMs. I've already gone ahead and bought and installed new air filter, fuel filter, oil filter and oil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, ignition, and battery. Also cleaned up the IACV and VTEC solenoid. Still seems to be doing it. I'm thinking its a clutch issue. I have a new Exedy OE replacement clutch kit but haven't had the time to put it in. Any thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Have you verified timing is 100% correct? Sounds like a timing or something fuel related to me. That's exactly how your car will act if your timing is off by even a tooth which messes everything up. Does it start easy or does it require a few cranks before it catches? I don't think the main relay would have a function of this but try that as well. Take it out, pull the cap off and verify all the solder points are good. Then spray the coil down with a good dose of contact cleaner. It helps on many things but like I said... I'm not so sure it will help with this exact issue. It does have a fuel function though which is why I even mention it.

EDIT: Oh, and I assume you made sure the plugs were gapped correctly?

GnrlKll

5+ Year Member
Have you verified timing is 100% correct? Sounds like a timing or something fuel related to me. That's exactly how your car will act if your timing is off by even a tooth which messes everything up. Does it start easy or does it require a few cranks before it catches? I don't think the main relay would have a function of this but try that as well. Take it out, pull the cap off and verify all the solder points are good. Then spray the coil down with a good dose of contact cleaner. It helps on many things but like I said... I'm not so sure it will help with this exact issue. It does have a fuel function though which is why I even mention it.

EDIT: Oh, and I assume you made sure the plugs were gapped correctly?
Will be getting the valve clearances adjusted, compression test, leakdown test, idle set, and timing set on Tuesday. Don't have a gap tool but they all looked the same when I put them in.. I'll have to pull em out and check em. Anything else I can check out before Tuesday?

GnrlKll

5+ Year Member
Update on condition --

Went out and bought a timing light, feeler gauges, and spark plug gap tool. Already had a new valve cover gasket set for this reason.

Opened up the valve cover, did the valve adjustment to spec and by the book. Checked the gap on the spark plugs. All were A okay. Closed it all up and warmed up the car. Noticed smoke that I had never seen before. (It was dark and the air was cool. So im going to have to check it mid day tomorrow.) Shut it off and pulled the IACV connector, set the idle. Reset ECU. Started it up. Idled pretty damn good. Shut it off. Hooked up the timing light. Jumped the service connector. Started it up with CEL on. Checked the timing. Spot on. I had moved the distributor before to replace the o-ring. And so yea. Timing is set properly from what I could tell. Set to the middle red mark. Shut it off, disconnected timing light. Done deal.

Drove to town and was waiting to get a ticket. What a difference everything made. Throttle was a lot more responsive and didnt bog. I'll have to drive it a couple days and see if it still has that pep in the pedal.

Any ideas on the smoke out the exhaust?? Could I have done the valve adjustment wrong? Intake valves set to .008 and .009 couldnt pass through. Exhaust valves set to .010 and .011 couldnt pass through. Checked the spark plug boots and no oil leaking into there from new seals.