'98 Civic EX Auto Trans Issue

EricaHarbor

No, we got the money to get stuff from a junkyard but not thousands to pay someone to do it for us.

EricaHarbor

Mostly us, aside from the trans rebuild and a couple of time someone helped us install unrelated parts. Just us. We dont know many people with the knowledge and the ones that do don't give 2 shits and wont help us

EricaHarbor

Our friend is here with a mulimeter finally. We are finally able to do what you asked us to do. Thank you. Will update when i have info

EricaHarbor

Linear solenoid passes electrical test. Turns out the new map sensor is bad, and so is the old one. Found a new issue: o2 sensor reading 0.00 v. But no code cane up for it. Will update when i can

EricaHarbor

Husbands dads mechanic came over and tested all solenoids and map sensor and o2 sensor. Map sensor was the only bad one besides o2 sensor, so i went and exchanged it and also got the new o2 sensor. Got back and he said the wires were swapped on 2 of the solenoids. We did not mess with those wires so it was the guy that reattached the transmission after the rebuild. Anyway, no more cel codes just the 0700 one. A test drive revealed that the car will now go forward, but still takes a crapton of gas, intermittently acts like it does not want to shift into 2nd or 3rd, and one time didnt shift at all into 3rd. It's technically driveable but not safe. We just went around the block in it. After coming back from the test drive, yet another new issue was revealed, something about the exhaust on the front of the engine not being tightened. Since the engine was hot from testing and driving, its dark and we're hungry and hurting, we will go back tomorrow and replace the o2 sensor and tighten the exhaust. Transmission fluid seemed to be overfilled slightly as well. As for the test results, i would have to ask him if i see him tomorrow. If you're looking for specific voltages, we told him what the voltages needed to be as stated in the manual and he said they all passed.

Thats all I have for now. Thanks everyone for your help and I will update when new information arrives

EricaHarbor

Oh and boofoo you'll be delighted to know we have purchased our own multimeter. Too little too late, but we can always loan it to comeone if they need it or it can collect dust until the day its needed

daperez13

Respected
Don't rule out the oxygen sensor. Primary or secondary? How are you reading the voltage? Car warmed up or cold? Put a load on the car.

Your transmission issues will greatly differ from your engine troubles, please follow boofo's advise with the troubleshooting.

daperez13

Respected
Oh and boofoo you'll be delighted to know we have purchased our own multimeter. Too little too late, but we can always loan it to comeone if they need it or it can collect dust until the day its needed
A voltmeter is always handy, whether troubleshooting a battery or alternator in your car, an outlet in your home or testing out resistors, voltmeters are invaluable.

daperez13

Respected
If P0700 is thrown, then there's also a specific transmission code thrown. Jump the service connector and determine the code by watching the cluster D4 light blink.

FYI - It's highly unlikely that all electrical test readings could have been correct if some sensor connectors were swapped, so what your mechanic told you is unreliable.
^ This!