98 Civic LX just shuts off

A-TownSKS

Well this morning on the way to work my car just shut off. Basically as if the battery was taken out, no light no nothing. About a minute or so passed and the lights came back on and I was able to start the car again only for it to die once more several feet later. This continued for a bit to where it would shut off right after it turned on.

A little history, I replaced the alternator and the battery this weekend, and the spark plugs too. The ignition harness was replaced probably a year ago. The check engine light didn't go on beforehand. One thing I noticed that was weird was on Saturday the battery light came on at high RPM's, this is after I replaced the battery and alternator.

Now I haven't read any other threads with this exact problem, but it seems a genuine consensus is to check the 40 and 41 fuse. Is there anything else I should look into? Also I have a manual transmission, I don't believe the clutch switch would cause the car to just shut off like it is.

Thanks a lot in advance guys

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what was your reason for replacing the alternator and battery? were you having these symptoms before you replaced them? did you get a remanufactured alternator ior brand new?

Butterz

Sounds like a coil issue to me. Try replacing the coil in the Distributor and see if that works. I had an Accord that used to be the same way, and that was the problem.

It looks like this:

A-TownSKS

I replaced the alternator because it died on me a couple of weeks ago on my way to work. I'd get a jump and it'd take me just a bit down the road before dying again. I went against my gut feeling and listened to my friend when he said it was the alternator. I believed it was the battery. Long story short, I wound up having to replace both of them.

I did fix the issue of today though. It was the number 40 80amp fuse. The one side of the connector looked almost charred and there was a burnt odor from it.

I don't know what could have caused this short, but it's working just fine again.