98 Civic Stalls when hot

joei24

Ok

My 98 Civic stalls on me when hot.
It starts fine when cold, runs fine until it warms up.
Then it sputters and stalls. It will start but will stall quickly unless I give it gas.

I'm getting good spark, ok compression and 50 psi fuel from the pump.
I am not getting any codes, I have checked the IAC valve and the readings
on the ohmmeter are within specs.

I haven't checked the MAP yet.

Any other ideas of what to check?

Thanks

codeman76

Check your mechanical timing and your ignition timing.

808xtreme808

Do electrical loads change the idle? When your turn your AC off does the idle improve? I had a similar problem. Car would start and drive fine, but when ever I came to a stop at a light it would idle really low and sometimes stall. What ended up fixing my problem was replacing my AC condenser fan. Go see if your AC fan is turning on. It's the fan in the driver side. If not test it by unplugging the fan connector and putting 12v with gator clips to the fan to test it. And using a multimeter to check the leads from the car. The car leads should read 14v when the fan relay is on. The AC compressor was loading up and stalling the car because it didn't have air blowing thru it to cool it. Good luck hope this helps.

joei24

I just went through the mech timing and it seems fine.
If the mech timing was off, wouldn't it always be difficult to start?

If I mess with the ignition timing, won't the computer override it?

I still have to test the MAP sensor, why they use phillips head screws on that, i do not know.

As far as the ac fan, I'll chech it out but I haven't run the ac since any of this happened.

Thanks

RonJ

Banned
Is this a low idle when warm problem? If so, follow the service manual procedure to adjust the idle speed to spec. What engine and transmission do you have?

Does the CEL work? Have you tried pulling codes with a code reader?

joei24

Hi Ron

It stalls when warm, it runs fine up until that point.
It will start once warm but will stall when I try to put in gear or if I don't rev the motor.
I can try to set the idle

I dont see any codes.

I checked the IAC and MAP and they all check out ok.

I did notice this and I don't know if it's normal.

I looked down the throttle body and noticed a pool of oil at the bottom.

Is that a normal occurance?

Thanks
Joe

sullivan01

I had a similar problem. Car would start and drive fine, but when ever I came to a stop at a light it would idle really low and sometimes stall. What ended up fixing my problem was replacing my AC condenser fan. Go see if your AC fan is turning on. It's the fan in the driver side.

joei24

Ok so I checked the AC fan and it goes on without any issues.
I changed the PVC valve as well since it was overdue.

I put a vacuum guage on it and this is what happened:

On startup it goes to about 20 psi and holds steady.
If I press the brake it goes down to 15 and the needle stutters.
When I put it in gear the needle stutters as well. (Except neutral)

Any ideas?

Thanks

RonJ

Banned
Have you adjusted the idle speed to spec using the service manual procedure? What engine and transmission do you have?

joei24

Hi Ron

I still have to adjust the idle speed, I have not done that yet.

I have the D16Y7 engine and automatic transmission.

Could it be a brake booster vacuum leak since it drops the vacuum and the guage needle stutters when I hit the brake?

Thanks
Joe

RonJ

Banned
I still have to adjust the idle speed, I have not done that yet.

I have the D16Y7 engine and automatic transmission.

Could it be a brake booster vacuum leak since it drops the vacuum and the guage needle stutters when I hit the brake?
I don't think so. You would have a high idle with the brake pedal pushed if the booster were the problem.