98 civic type r mesh grill

Jdm_josh98

So I have a 98 civic with that grill and having problems installing it when it clip into place and I shut the hood down it snaps back out

Jdm_josh98

Anyone else had problems installing it if so what do I have to do

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Show some pictures, otherwise we dont know what you're doing right or wrong.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm assuming you're talking about a replica ctr grille purchased from eBay or Amazon or the like. A friend of mine had a problem getting his to fit properly as well. It was a hair too tall so when the bottom was clipped properly into the bumper there was a gap between the top of the grille and the radiator support. If we tried to clip the top properly onto the rad support the bottom would pop out and sit retarded poking out from the bumper about a 1/4". He managed to get it to sit somewhat decent but it still doesn't fit perfectly. That's just how it is with cheap eBay replicas when it comes to any parts. Nothing fits right. Oem ftw

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine did the same thing. It was a replica. I learned to live with it lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the eBay replica grille and you definitely have to make sure the bumper is sitting perfectly for the grille to clip in correctly. Also make sure your hood is properly aligned including the rubber stoppers.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those replica grilles fit like bunk.
You're money ahead by cutting your stock one up and using some garden mesh and making your own.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Those replica grilles fit like bunk.
You're money ahead by cutting your stock one up and using some garden mesh and making your own.
no... imo that looks gross no matter how clean of a job you do. tried it myself and hated it. keep the oem grille the way it was meant to be or live with the shitty fitment of the knockoff. if you dont like poor fitment buy oem simple as that

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no... imo that looks gross no matter how clean of a job you do. tried it myself and hated it. keep the oem grille the way it was meant to be or live with the shitty fitment of the knockoff. if you dont like poor fitment buy oem simple as that
I've seen DIY grilles and they've come out looking great.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You did it wrong if you managed to mess that up.
no i didnt do it wrong it just think it looks bad when people do that. the mesh opening winds up being larger and more forward than an oem ctr grille. it looks too wide open instead of being smaller with the mesh recessed in toward the radiator more. i know its probably an insignificant detail to some but it bothers me. i prefer the look of the oem ej8 grille over a hacked up one or cheap replica any day