98 dx exhaust help

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
whats up. im new to this site. im 16 and just got my license/first car which a black 98 dx. yea i know its slow. i bought it with a full exhaust system on it, but the issue is, when i put it in reverse, or stop in drive, the exhaust rattles against the rear bumper making an insanely loud rattling noise. im scared to just push it around and try to move it. any suggestions? thanks

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you sure that's the source of the rattle? The bumper is plastic, so I don't know why it rubbing against the muffler would make a rattling sound. Are there any signs of burning on the bumper right above the exhaust tip?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it is rattling against the bumper, all you have to do is move it around and adjust the hangers.

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
its definitely the source of the rattling because i put it in reverse with the e brake up and went out behind it and heard it rattle. what exactly do i do to adjust the hangers? i was also thinking to maybe just cut off part of the back bumper on the inside where you cant notice right by the exhaust where its hitting

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do not cut your bumper, take it to a muffler shop and tell them your exhaust is rattling when you reverse and askthem to check the hangers, no need to cut a bumper.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you sure that's the source of the rattle? The bumper is plastic, so I don't know why it rubbing against the muffler would make a rattling sound. Are there any signs of burning on the bumper right above the exhaust tip?
i tend to agree with this person.. metal.. against soft plastic.. is not exactly going to make a rattling sound.. in my experience at least.. what is FAR more likely is that its rattling UNDER the car.. heat shields and such..

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
im gona go out now and check again to see if its rattling against the bumper. cause you all seem and got me worried now lol.

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
k so i just took it for a quick ride around the block and now its hardly doing it. i had the radio and everything off and could hear the rattling a little. then, it had a medium sound when i hit the brakes and was slowing down. when i first got the the car [march 8th], it was incredibly loud when i just put in in reverse. and now its hardly doing it? im getting confused. the rattle doesnt sound like a metal on metal type thing tho. its like a deep rattle..if that makes any sense

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is the USED exhaust that came with it correct?

has it pretty much done it from when you got it..?

when the exhaust cools down (it will take a while) get under there and check the WHOLE length of the pipe..

the reason the sound likely changes is as you drive the way the motor is moving and or rocking changes as well.. the vibrations the exhaust make change with RPMs as well..

as you check the ENTIRE exhaust.. wiggle it.. move it around.. you are looking for ill fitting parts.. the exhaust may even be bad inside in like the muffler area causing it to rattle internally..

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
yes its used and its done it ever since ive had it.

ill check on everyone you told me and keep you updated. thx

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
k i let it sit for awhile and when i put it in reverse it surely enough did the same thing and rattled pretty loud. but, i kept it in reverse and pulled the e brake, went out and looked, and the exhaust was bouncing left and right, against the bumper. it already sits to the right a little so i think thats what it is. the bumper also has some marks on the inside portion where you can tell its been worn out from it. i didnt hear any noises underneath other than that. so i guess just adjust the hangers?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k i let it sit for awhile and when i put it in reverse it surely enough did the same thing and rattled pretty loud. but, i kept it in reverse and pulled the e brake, went out and looked, and the exhaust was bouncing left and right, against the bumper. it already sits to the right a little so i think thats what it is. the bumper also has some marks on the inside portion where you can tell its been worn out from it. i didnt hear any noises underneath other than that. so i guess just adjust the hangers?
maybe i was not clear..

let the car COOL down so you can TOUCH the exhaust pipe.. jack the car up support it properly so you are not crushed.... get on your back and get UNDER the car.. inspect the ENTIRE exhaust system..

is it more of a problem when the car is cool and LESS of a problem when the car warms up? metal moves and expands and contracts as it heats and cools.. so try to take note if the problem changes with the car being warmed up or not..

also check that WHOLE system.. look for where it could be rubbing on the body OR on other things like suspension components.. you need to get UNDER there though to check it out.. ;)

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're still puzzled, take a camcorder under there, get a good video of the rattle, so that we can help.

You also might consider getting the car on stands, going under it, and having a friend put it in reverse and take it out (or whatever else produces the rattle) so that you can be under the car looking for what changes and causes the rattle.

I had an exhaust rattle after install, found out my shifter was rattling against a hanger. So, I cut that hanger. It wasn't really needed.