99-00 Radio in 96-98

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I want to put in a radio from a 99-00 civic into my 97 civic. The harness that it connects to is different. How can i go about doing this without messing things up?
I was thinking about buying an aftermarket radio harness and an OEM 99-00 harness(if i can find one) and splicing those together. Then i might be able to just plug it into my harness that i have now. Any ideas or info?

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My idea would be to get an aftermarket deck w/free install from Best Buy but if you really want OEM I would do it the cave man way and splice the wires...everything should line up color for color (if you get the stock 99-00 harness).

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My idea would be to get an aftermarket deck w/free install from Best Buy but if you really want OEM I would do it the cave man way and splice the wires...everything should line up color for color (if you get the stock 99-00 harness).
The thing is i like the factory look. I know i'm crazy. And i don't care too much for incredible sound right now. Stock is fine and has been for a while. I already have the radio to go in just not the harness. Any one have one? *goes to classifieds*

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I get it, if u dont get the harness I used this site to wire up my dvd player and it was helpful when it came to stock wiring colors

www.installdr.com

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow, great site. Thanks. Just bookmarked that site.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Radio Harness changed in 99 models... you would need the male-side harness from a 99-00 civic and cut the harness on your 96-98 civic.

You could then wire it up to the 96-98 it will match color for color to the wires. They only changed some of the colors @speakers in those years, behind the radio they are exactly the same cept for the plug style.

but remember, you will lose your keyless entry if you have that. the keyless is tied into the radio in the 96-98 models. There is a green plug that is also plugged into the radio running that function. in the 99-00 they moved keyless to its own harness somewhere else in the vehicle.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i work at best buy in the install bay..if you want i can throw a harness together for you...let me know bro

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I want to put in a radio from a 99-00 civic into my 97 civic. The harness that it connects to is different. How can i go about doing this without messing things up?
I was thinking about buying an aftermarket radio harness and an OEM 99-00 harness(if i can find one) and splicing those together. Then i might be able to just plug it into my harness that i have now. Any ideas or info?
I have a '99-'00 Si radio in my '98 EX.

I used an old aftermarket installation harness and the pigtail that I was lucky enough to acquire. I had a friend slice it together for me though since he would do cleaner work.

Oh, and free install from Best Buy is the caveman way. :P
The thing is i like the factory look. I know i'm crazy. And i don't care too much for incredible sound right now. Stock is fine and has been for a while. I already have the radio to go in just not the harness. Any one have one? *goes to classifieds*
I've at least got decent sound. '99-'00 Si radio, stock tweeters, stock sub/amp, Apline speakers all around.

You might be able to get someone to cut one out of a car they're parting.
Radio Harness changed in 99 models... you would need the male-side harness from a 99-00 civic and cut the harness on your 96-98 civic.

You could then wire it up to the 96-98 it will match color for color to the wires. They only changed some of the colors @speakers in those years, behind the radio they are exactly the same cept for the plug style.

but remember, you will lose your keyless entry if you have that. the keyless is tied into the radio in the 96-98 models. There is a green plug that is also plugged into the radio running that function. in the 99-00 they moved keyless to its own harness somewhere else in the vehicle.
The side which plugs into the radio is a female harness. He needs that (the pigtail as I called it).

I've gotten by fine without keyless. You can always add it to an alarm too.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i work at best buy in the install bay..if you want i can throw a harness together for you...let me know bro
Hey man PM me with info on what you can do and how much it would be. That would be great.

I have a '99-'00 Si radio in my '98 EX.

I used an old aftermarket installation harness and the pigtail that I was lucky enough to acquire. I had a friend slice it together for me though since he would do cleaner work.

Oh, and free install from Best Buy is the caveman way. :P

I've at least got decent sound. '99-'00 Si radio, stock tweeters, stock sub/amp, Apline speakers all around.

You might be able to get someone to cut one out of a car they're parting.

The side which plugs into the radio is a female harness. He needs that (the pigtail as I called it).

I've gotten by fine without keyless. You can always add it to an alarm too.

It's quite encouraging to know someone else has done it. That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. The aftermarket harness and OEM female harness. I've never had OEM keyless but i have an aftermarket alarm with two way pager so that won't be a problem.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm, how about taking a double-din out of a 99-00 CRV... fill up the little hole that doesnt hold anything if you r spirited off a traffic light. Im sure some audio places have the OE units for cheap since people dont want them. Just a thought.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some shops will charge a lot of money for a stock radio. About $100 if memory serves correct. Most businesses don't even want you to take something they think is trash. It's considered theft. I guess it's that whole thing about that they suddenly have something of value, so they want to make a buck (or hundred) off of it if they can.

Hell, at my job I could be fired for "stealing" a pack of stickers that are supposed to be damaged out (spray painted and thrown away).

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well that wouldn't be a problem since i already have a radio that a friend gave me when he installed a new stereo in his. The thing is i didn't know it was different than the 96-98.
I'm tired of having the cd player behind the cupholder.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine is currently behind the cupholder. The '99-'00 deck is a little larger than that slot down there, but can mount wedged out a bit and still looking decent. I'm not sure if it will fit in the upper DIN.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine is currently behind the cupholder. The '99-'00 deck is a little larger than that slot down there, but can mount wedged out a bit and still looking decent. I'm not sure if it will fit in the upper DIN.
Oh crap. I was thinking i would need to fill in some space since the shape is different but i never thought it would be too big. I'll have to check it out. Either way i'll probably be switching it. Would it be possible for you to show me some pics of how yours is set up at the moment? I would like to see how it sits down there and what you have in the Climate Control.