99 Civic: Broken hood release handle

desimunda

5+ Year Member
Long story short: The idiots at a Midas near my house broke the hood relase handle of my car.:cry: I didn't notice it until the next day ...:x by when it was tooo late to go kick those mofos asses:x

Where can i get to buy a replacement part?

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hondapartsdeals.com

i just pulled mine with some pliers and put i zip tie around it :rolf: it will do for now.

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im not going to replace mine. bc its bassically a garuntee that if a thief cant pop the hood fast enough to unplug the battery for the alarm he is going to run :-) just my opinion tho.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it is a pain in the ass to not havea release tho.

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eh i just keep plyers folded up in the magazine in my door. no biggie. not like you open your hood every 2 mins.

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah same thing happened with me, damn shop that inspected it broke the hood release but i didn't notice for like a month.

zdiver07

5+ Year Member
its a lot easier to replace it, mine did the same thing its less than 20 from honda and its not hard to put in at all!

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that happened to me also, now my cable is totally frozen up so I need to replace the cable. How hard is it to replace this cable? I did it to my mazda but when I tried to remove this cable from a junk yard car it had all kinds of clips on it that I couldnt get off the cable and they wouldht pass into the passenger compartment to pull the cable out.

desimunda

5+ Year Member
thank you

zdiver07 said:
its a lot easier to replace it, mine did the same thing its less than 20 from honda and its not hard to put in at all!
thank you friends,
ya, i think i can work it with pliers but its kinda hard every time...
i just went and bought the whole cable/wire assembly for $20/- bux frm honda dealer. i wanna do it myself but not quite sure how, if someone could guide me with that i'd appreciate it...

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
happened to me too..not having a handle is kinda a pain..i just havent gotta around to replaceing it....

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
SiRcivic27 said:
that happened to me also, now my cable is totally frozen up so I need to replace the cable. How hard is it to replace this cable? I did it to my mazda but when I tried to remove this cable from a junk yard car it had all kinds of clips on it that I couldnt get off the cable and they wouldht pass into the passenger compartment to pull the cable out.
Its easy.. unhook the thing right by the hood, and retrace it through the holes it came through.. I think its screwed on by screw or two on the inside of the car. Should take 5 mins max..

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one day i looked at mine and saw it was broke, i was like wtf? but then i just replaced it...no biggie

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
senatE said:
im not going to replace mine. bc its bassically a garuntee that if a thief cant pop the hood fast enough to unplug the battery for the alarm he is going to run :-) just my opinion tho.
if there smart they would pull the cable from inside the fender liner

borisciVic

5+ Year Member
yea, s**t happends when u have sketchy people around your cars. good thing i live in a smalll town.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i would still take it back, its going to cost you like $60 from honda to get a new latch and cable (i think they are sold together) some shop broke the handle on my dipstick and i took it back the next day and got a new one

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine broke too and I just keep small pliers in the cup holder compartment. It's very easy to open with pliers. I can do it just as fast as having a regular lever to pull.

But yeah make them pay for it.