99 Civic DX Clutch

Lucas Mast

I need a new clutch for my 99 Honda civic DX, but I dont want to spend too much. I've looked on ebay and I've found a stage 1 clutch for only $60. What would be a good reason to get a stage 1 clutch instead of just a normal clutch? In other words what would that do to my clutch would it make it better or what?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do yourself a favor and get an excedy OEM replacement unless you have power to back up a performance one and don't go with a cheap no name kit on ebay. You will thank me in the long run. Cheap out and you will be redoing it again shorter than you would have wanted to and will more than likely spend more than what you would have if you would have done it right from the beginning. This kit is under $30 more than your ebay one: http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-08022-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5DCO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431363892&vehicle=1999-59-752-------------0&sr=1-1&ymm=1999:honda:civic&keywords=1999+honda+civic+exedy+oem+replacement

Also replace or at the very least have the flywheel resurfaced when you are in there. Throwing a new clutch on an old worn out flywheel is a no no. Another $75 bucks and do it right: http://www.amazon.com/Exedy-FWHDC01-Clutch-Flywheel/dp/B000CG8MBG/ref=pd_bxgy_263_text_y

Don't cheap out on major parts like this and you will save money in the long run, plus your car will thank you for it by running better for longer.

bairdandrew77

"Stage 1 clutch" means nothing, because all stage 1, 2, 3, etc clutches will vary between companies. An oem exedy clutch will last longer and probably handle more power and torque than that ebay one you found

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
listen to Lethal

if you go cheap then in 10K miles you will probably have to do it all over again.

do it right the 1st time. If you dont have the funds, then wait til you do.

Lucas Mast

Thanks this really helps a lot. My only real problem is with money. My job sucks and I hardly work right now. But I think I can make it work to get that excedy OEM clutch. If it means my car running better then it has to worth it I love my baby! Thanks guys for all the advice!