99 Civic DX wont start

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Ok so heres the story. I Started the car to move it into my driveway on thursday to clean it and fix a tire. started up no problems. moved it to the street after i was done still no problems. It sat there till sunday with out opperating, I started it up sunday to move it up a little because my dad parked up against my rear bumper still no problems. It sat there with out start up untill tuesday when i got in my car to go to work started it up the engine sputtered for a few seconds and killed and wouldnt start up again. I checked all fuses and grounds all good fuel pump is working getting plenty of fuel to the rail. getting spark to the plugs I changed the plugs yesterday. I reset the ecu even though I did not have a check engine light, and to no avail it still will not start it turns over and seems like it wants to start but just will not start.

Also I pulled the dizzy cap off and cleaned the contacts. They werent really dirty but just for extra measure I did.

Dre Da Kid

404 THE ATL
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did u check main relay?

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Check to see if the main relay clicks once when the key is turned to on(II), once when the fuel pump primes and then as soon as you crank the car. Or pull it put and re soder your contact points. Did wonders for me.

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
No i didnt check it I dont have a meter but Ill check for the clicks

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Just to make sure, The main relay is in the fuse box under the hood by the battery correct?

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure it's under the dash. It's normally very close to the ignition switch. You'll hear the first two clicks easy. Bu the third you have to really listen for cause the car will crank.

The ELD is in the under-the-dash fuse box.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
check timing belt and distribitor cap its not the main relay if your gettin fuel pressure

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Electronic Load Detector it shouldn't affect your car not starting. But can cause rough idle issues

yeahd00dshaun

5+ Year Member
Is your rotor loose? Check IACV ( Intake Air Control Valve). I strongly suggest buying a service manual or downloading one. And follow the diagnostics and trouble shooting through it.

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Ok I just changed the spark plug wired the distributor cap and the fuel filter. Still not starting. The relay is working fine I hear all clicks.

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
I've found the problem through numerous electrical tests. The Ignition coil was bad. Autozone wanted 86 bucks just for the coil. I bought a new distributor on ebay for the same price. works great now. thanks for the help guys