99 Civic Ex Oil Leak D16y8 Bottom End Any Ideas?

99coup3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I that this has been discussed in other threads, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I have a 99 civic ex (d16y8) that is leaking oil. I just had the vtec solenoid gaskets and valve cover gasket replaced but it still leaks oil. I'm thinking it's the rear main seal. Any other ideas of what it could be? It has to be in the bottom end.
Thanks in advance!

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Just a suggestion but is it possible it could be the base pan gasket or oil plug seal?, because mine blew the base gasket!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Another vague thread....... Have you looked through the engine from top to bottom? Have you tried cleaning the oil off then inspecting where fresh leaking oil is coming from? Is your oil pan soaked? Is it wet under your distributor? There are loads of questions since you've provided little information.

No one on here is there to look at your engine for you.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ im with john, but yeah best thing i could tell you is gently wash the engine bay (reach the wand down the sides and rense it all, then drive it around for a day then check for fresh oil, thats how i found mine (still havnt fixed it thought) mine is my oil pan gasket

99coup3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Emarican, I forgot to mention I had the distributor and o ring replaced, so it shouldn't be that. The mechanic that did it cleaned the engine, so I'll look tomorrow and see if I see anything. I've also had the oil drain plug fixed because it was thought to be the problem.
Thanks guys

99coup3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so I found what seems to be old oil on the transmission beside the header. I didnt really take not of whether he had missed a spot or if it was perfectly clean. Im guessing he missed a spot. It didn't seem fresh since it had dirt mixed in and was pretty dry. Other than that, I didn't see anything.
Side note -- He had replaced the distributor, do you think he replaced the O-ring? I had taken him the diagnosis from honda when he entered all the information.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is a service bulletin for the 96-00 Civics regarding the rear main seal. Mine has a slow leak too. So chances are it's probably that.