99 Civic Ex sporadic engine shutting off problem?

slammed98ex

Here's my issue that I am trying to solve. My car will be driving fine with no issues and when it warms up the engine just shuts off and loses power. There are no check engine lights that come on or anything. I checked today and when this happens the car is losing spark and takes 5-20 minutes for the car to be able to be started again. To this point I've changed distributor, coolant temp sensor, plugs, wires, battery terminals, main relay, ecu, and intake air temp sensor. I know the fuel pump is turning on as I can here it prime. I haven't done the ignition switch swap out as these cars are known for them to go bad but the person who owned the car prior to me did. I'm literally at a loss. I checked grounds and sanded them down to make better contact points. Is there anything that I seem to be missing or has anyone else had this problem before? I do know the car had a wreck prior to me buying the car and was hit pretty good in the passenger door and fender area. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I can't think of what else to check besides maybe the harness.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What was the location of the crash & how severe was the damage? Its possible that some wiring pertinent to the ignition or fuel system was damaged & partially severed enough that when cold it makes sufficient contact but once warmed up it separates thus causing a shut off. If thats the case, you may have to inspect pertinent wiring in the formerly crashed area & hope you find the damaged wire then repair it.

slammed98ex

It was the passenger door and fender area. I'm not to sure how hard the hit was as it was repaired. There is still bent metal around the inside frame of the door I can see. I also seen the outside door skin had been replaced. Where the hinge of the door meets the frame area of the front clip appears to have been rewelded back on on the upper hinge. I'm also curious is there another relay between the ecu and distributor that controls spark other than the main that I am not thinking of off hand? I plan on trying to see if there are any damaged wires on the inner fender well tomorrow if I get time.