'99 civic trunk seal problems

SkizzorHandz

5+ Year Member
I have a '99 civic ex and when i bought it i didn't realize it had trunk leaking problems. First day i drove it on a hard rain i checked the trunk and there was lots of water standing in it. i found many holes in one fender so i sealed those holes and put undercoating under the fender. but my trunk lid is not sealing and the trunk is still getting a little bit of water in it. I tried weather stripping it still leaks. need some suggestions kinda new to this whole car thing at 16.

EKEX

5+ Year Member
pull out all the trunk carpet spare tire everything

have a friend or something run a hose over the whole ass end

lay down the back seats crawl thru with a flashlight and wait

find the leak an go from there GL..

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the same problem. I pulled the carpet out of it. Did the crawl in the trunk trick. Mine was coming from many places. I ended up changing the trunk lid which helped alot. I sealed all the other leaks with a waterproof sealer.
But I still have a leak coming from somewhere. I believe it is at the rear window.

OP make sure you get it fixed or you will start growing mold in your trunk. Also you might want to drill a hole in your trunk so the water will drain out. Remember to put some kind of sealer or paint in the hole to stop rust from coming up.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ thats what i did. drilled a couple 1/4" holes in the spare tire well of the trunk and sprayed them with rustoleum. my only leaks are coming from the taillights though, not the trunk lid itself

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine aren't as bad as when I first bought the car. I use to have a freaking pond in my trunk. Now it is just a small puddle at best. I believe mine is the back window and taillights.

SkizzorHandz

5+ Year Member
yes thanks i did the trunk thing with the light and sealed all the holes i still need a little trunk plug thing that goes on the ass end of the car. There are two on the car and one has one but the other one is gone. I still get a little water from the deck lid and down the sides i tried weather stripping but it still leaks a little. any suggestions on the deck lid fiasco.?

mok890

5+ Year Member
I had the same problem in my civ
I was also the person that got shuved in the truck and i found on the "rims " where the weather striping goes had very small cracks so check the trunk rim thingy all around the trunk.
Sorry for the great vocab

SkizzorHandz

5+ Year Member
oh okay i'll check that. I think the deck lid isn't sealing from the seal on top of the deck lid and the seal on the car. I don't know how to adjust that to make it seal though