99 si header/manifold issue

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
hi guys, i am looking to buy a new header for my car. this question may sound silly to some of you, but which brand header should i go for and why? and should i get a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 header?

ceramic or stainless steel? i have heard that ceramic headers turn into a nasty brown colour after a few years of use.

i have been looking around for a 4-1 dc sports stainelss steel header but it is extremely hard to find, has it gone out of production?

im in the uk where parts are VERY limited and extremely expensive....so can anyone recomend a website to me (which also ships to the UK) where i can get good parts for my 99 si.

thanks in advance for any replies.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hi guys, i am looking to buy a new header for my car. this question may sound silly to some of you, but which brand header should i go for and why? and should i get a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 header?

ceramic or stainless steel? i have heard that ceramic headers turn into a nasty brown colour after a few years of use.

i have been looking around for a 4-1 dc sports stainelss steel header but it is extremely hard to find, has it gone out of production?

im in the uk where parts are VERY limited and extremely expensive....so can anyone recomend a website to me (which also ships to the UK) where i can get good parts for my 99 si.

thanks in advance for any replies.
What are you power plans??? DC Sport headers, rust don't provide much HP gain. A JDM ITR 4-1 header is as or better then a dcsport 4-1. You can find companies making replica ITR 4-1 headers that are good starting headers. A really header you are going to see some gains would me like a SMSP 4-1 header but cost a nice penny. Do some research on headers. There are header comparisons. Go to honda-tech.com and do a little researching.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure about the Megan header how long it will hold up, but I would go with ITR 4-1 header. I see dcsports header rusting, and not lasting long. I had a real ITR 4-1 header on mine and I liked it. Plus you could bolt up a OEM black heat shield and it would look stock. These are one of the best options for a low budget header. Greddy makes a nice header. But you should research header comparisons and make your own decision for best bang for the buck.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a b16 needs a 4-2-1 header, else youre sacrificing more low end than your making up with max power

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
so, 4-1 or 4-2-1?

jus say one of the two, which ever one you think is better?

so far 2 ppl say 4-1 is better and 1 says that 4-2-1 is better.

4-2-1 manifolds will give me more power in lower rpms but reduce my high rpm power right? or will vtec rpm power stay the same?

xquesiano

Air Head
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
generally speaking, a 4-2-1 is better for getting you around town based on the fct that they do produce the power lower in the power band. A 4-1 will produce power higher up. You have a b16, which is an engine designed to produce power in the higher rpms...

if you have the money, give hytech or smsp a look.

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
ok cool. but a 4-1 will not cause me to actually lose any power that i already have in lower rpms? or would it?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok cool. but a 4-1 will not cause me to actually lose any power that i already have in lower rpms? or would it?
yes you will lose low end torque. unless you drive your car on the track/strip everyday you will not notice the gains of a 4-1 header on a b16. a b18 or b20 will perform better with 4-1 as they are larger displacement motors and their powerbands tend to fade in higher rpms. a 4-2-1 will still show increases in higher rpms while maintaining low rpm torque

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
MugenKid, you are the man! lol thanks for clearing everything up dude. im gna buy a 4-2-1 manifold :-)

any1 know which one would be the best 1 (brand/make) for my civic?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Any will do really.

Megan Racing is cheap and a lot of people seem to vouch for them.

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have greddy. I really like them. However DC Sports also makes a great product.

Slammed_am

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a Megan Racing 4-1 on my EM1. Its a really nice part, great quality. As far as performance it definately made more of change in higher RPM, but the lower RPM range stayed stock. no real changeat all.

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ceramc headers are the best. I had a DC ceramic 4-1... It was nice. Only thing is that they don't have a 2ndary sensor flange. You wont have clearance issues like a lot of people say with a 4-1... Make sure you have an aftermarket cat or resonator first or it'll sound like s**t... lol..

Stainless is nice too though... and it looks good, but for a street header its not the best option.. Increases under hood temperatues and can crack... Especially cheaper stainless headers... I've seen 2 cracked megan racing stainless and megan is a decent brand.

Either way its just a header... the 4-1 is defintely the way to go though. You're going to be in the high rpm most of the time :D.

Go for a 4-1 ceramic header.. I HAD one in my side yard, but i think it was stolen or the rents threw it out.. Dont overpay though.. I paid 300 for mine and got RIPPED OFF.. for sure... I'd get an ebay brand header lol. They're all the same.. For a SOHC get a y8 header if u have a y7 or any other header without a built in catalytic converter.. lol...

xNOBOOSTx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a megan racing stainless 4-2-1 on my car and i like it, the only downfall is the heat rust it has collected over the past year, but a very good part none the less.

Slammed_am

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a megan racing stainless 4-2-1 on my car and i like it, the only downfall is the heat rust it has collected over the past year, but a very good part none the less.
Mine's just super tarnished. Looks like s**t, but no cracks, and its still very solid. It's been on the car for at least 2 years now....and it gets drive year -round, in all types of weather. I think I paied less then $200 for the Megan 4-1 header, and "race pipe" cat on ebay.