A/c and rough idle....

taylor3.8

Okay i have checked all over this forum if i over looked a previous post i apologize in advance. if my a/c turned off my car runs fine. with it on it runs very rough. it hunts for an idle... at first i thought it was a IACV but i cleaned my throttle body as well as my IACV... that didnt help the problem... i have noticed that compressor is cycling very quickly... so i will run terrible... can some help me? by the way i have no CEL on.

Vtec Missing

From what i have seen on other sites they say thats normal. They say that our air condition will turn off once you go to wide open throttle. It does this to regain the power it needs to turn the ac compressor. Once you go back to partial throttle the compressor clutch is cycled, turning the compressor back on and robbing your engine of power.
Thats wat i seen correct me if im wrong.
Do what i do dont use it.

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
In my 98 last year, my car would run fine until I turned the ac on, then it would turn my car off lol. I replaced the compressor and it was all good after that. Hope that helps

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
From what i have seen on other sites they say thats normal. They say that our air condition will turn off once you go to wide open throttle. It does this to regain the power it needs to turn the ac compressor. Once you go back to partial throttle the compressor clutch is cycled, turning the compressor back on and robbing your engine of power.
Thats wat i seen correct me if im wrong.
Do what i do dont use it.
Your a/c should NOT cause your car to run rough. If it is, there's a problem. Mine would run really, really rough, and cause the whole car to shake. After a while, my a/c would begin blowing warm. I noticed my a/c condenser fan wasn't turning on. Turned out to be a short in the fan. Once fixed, the car blew ice cold and idled completely normally. Check your condenser and fan, and listen to your compressor once it kicks on. If it's squeaking/squealing, it may be the clutch or clutch bearing.

jdm6243

I recently over charged (i think undercharged can have the same effect) my a/c and the compressor began cycling so quick my iac couldnt keep up (i assumed), letting some out of the system got rid of it. hope this helps someone.

taylor3.8

I recently over charged (i think undercharged can have the same effect) my a/c and the compressor began cycling so quick my iac couldnt keep up (i assumed), letting some out of the system got rid of it. hope this helps someone.
That was my problem... the system was Way over charged... over 100+ psi :shock: let out about 65 lbs. after that, no more hunting idle!!!

Mr2Civic817

I had this issue with my 97 civic also, when you push the A/C button my car would shake violently, and you would hear a loud Hiss, and the air was blowing hot.

Turned out my compressor seized on me and took the drier along with it, I replaced both parts, took it to a shop to have the lines vacuumed out and recharged with 134 freon.

Car runs great (knock on wood) shakes like normal and has cold A/C